Ever felt like your body can’t take all the physical effort you’ve been doing lately? Of course, athletes would know exactly what it is like. For a normal person however, intense effort takes its toll quite fast. The doTERRA Deep Blue essential oil blend is meant to soothe all that resulting physical pain and discomfort.
This article is an in-depth review of the product (and line). You’ll get to read about:
- What’s in Deep Blue and what each ingredient can do to your health and well-being.
- The benefits and uses of this blend.
- Deep Blue essential oil blend reviews and opinions.
- Side effects and safety tips for the blend. Because the oils it contains may cause problems to some people.
- How to use the blend for maximum benefits.
- Other Deep Blue products from doTERRA.
doTERRA Deep Blue Essential Oil Uses & Benefits and Reviews
Soothing and cooling, essential oils are known to be able to relieve muscle tension and pain. Our daily lives require movement, whether it’s walking, running, typing or lifting.
Even if you’re not an athlete, every now and then, you might still get the occasional physical discomfort. Any sort of movement would do better with a relaxing Aromatherapy massage.
The Deep Blue Soothing Blend is meant to help with all the physical effort you make daily. For that to happen, doTERRA blended 8 essential oils in one 5 ml bottle. Let’s see how these oils can help you feel better.
What is in doTERRA Deep Blue? Here are its ingredients and their beneficial effects:
Wintergreen essential oil (Gaultheria procumbens/fragrantissima) – This plant extract is a very rich source of methyl salicylate. It is a molecule that acts just like aspirin. Thus, the oil has very good anti-inflammatory and pain relieving effects. Wintergreen is also antispasmodic and circulatory. This means it can calm down muscle spasms and improve blood circulation.
Camphor essential oil (Cinnamomum camphora) – The same tree that gives us Ravintsara, yields pure camphor oil too. The oil contains high amounts of camphor and 1,8 cineole. They make it a strong disinfectant, but they can also relieve pain and inflammation. Wintergreen and Camphor are both cooling. Camphor oil can also stimulate and improve the activity of the cardiorespiratory system. The oil has been used for muscle spasms and rheumatism for a long time.
Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita) – This essence is already well-known for its cooling and numbing sensation. This sensation is especially welcome after an intense workout or physical effort. Peppermint is antispasmodic, tonic and stimulant. It can also prevent viral infections and improve digestion.
Ylang – Ylang essential oil (Cananga odorata) – The oil of Ylang Ylang is known to contain a bit of methyl salicylate too. Thus, it adds to the anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects of the other ingredients. On top of that, it also has a beautiful, floral scent. Research shows that Ylang Ylang can lower blood pressure.
Helichrysum essential oil (Helichrysum italicum) – This oil is an excellent ingredient for blood circulation. It can prevent hematomas in the injured tissue, and can also soothe sprains. It is a great draining and anti-inflammatory essential oil.
Blue Tansy essential oil (Tanacetum annuum) – Recognized for its antihistamine effects, Blue Tansy is great at soothing allergies. That action is possible because of its anti-inflammatory effects. Blue Tansy is a very good calming and sedating oil. It relaxes the nervous system and strengthens the blood vessels.
Blue Chamomile essential oil (Matricaria recutita or German Chamomile) – German Chamomile is also great for allergies and inflammations. It improves the blood circulation and soothes muscle cramps and contractions. It can also protect from infections.
Osmanthus flower absolute (Osmanthus fragrans) – This essence is one of the best in perfume making. It has a fruity, creamy fragrance, but it’s not overpowering. This pleasant smell can help relax the nervous system. It was probably added to the blend for its scent.
As you can see, this mixture of anti-inflammatory oils is great. It makes a very potent essential oil blend that can be used to relieve discomfort and mild pain.
When you work out or you move/carry things, your body is under strain. The muscles contract and hormones are released to help the body face that strain. Sustained effort can cause the muscles to stretch and the fibers to break. Soreness then occurs because of inflammation.
doTERRA Deep Blue Uses and Benefits
doTERRA Deep Blue Soothing Blend can ease all those symptoms. It can do so because of its ingredients, which are all anti-inflammatory and analgesic. Their cooling sensation can calm down the heat of the inflammation, among others.
This soothing blend can be used to:
- Prevent muscle strains and tears.
- Cool off exhausted muscles.
- Relieve different body aches (back, joints, knees, etc.).
- Relax the body by relieving tension and the mind by affecting the nervous system.
- Prevent viral infections, thanks to its antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Give the immune system a boost.
- Improve breathing.
There are, of course, limits to how much and how often you can use this blend. I’ll talk more about this subject after the reviews and where to buy the oil blend.
doTERRA Deep Blue Soothing Blend Reviews
Most people who’ve used the oil were happy with it. They liked the smell of the doTERRA Soothing Blend. They also noticed some pain relief upon application.
Depending on the pain level, one might feel a complete or partial relief. These results may also be influenced by the dosage you use.
About 80% of Deep Blue users have had good results with the blend. There were a few others who still had complaints. Those complaints, however, were more related to the way the bottle looked than anything else.
For some reason, doTERRA chose to change the cap of this particular 5 ml bottle. Because of that, people thought they received an adulterated product. Well, that is not the case. The product looks just like the one in the picture below.
Some people also thought that the oil blend was not pure because of its blue color. The blend is called Deep Blue because it is blue. The color comes from 2 different essential oils: Blue Tansy and German Chamomile. So, know that it is normal for the blend to look blue.
The doTERRA Deep Blue reviews are mostly good and encouraging. It’s a good sign when trying to find natural relief for your overworked muscles.
Where to Buy a doTERRA Deep Blue Essential Oil Blend
When it comes to buying the product, there are quite a few options. You could do it from a doTERRA advocate or representative. But if you live in farther countries and there are no representatives around, you can always count on Amazon.
When you receive the oil blend, you must make sure:
- The bottle cap is sealed.
- There’s nothing sticky around its mouth after opening. This is a sign of oxidation.
- There are no sediments on the bottom of the blend.
- The label looks like it should.
- The smell should also be characteristic to the blend’s ingredients. If you sense something off, you’d better send it back or not use it.
doTerra Deep Blue Blend Side Effects, How to Use and Other Deep Blue Products
When it comes to safety, not even essential oils make an exception. Of course, they are so popular because they have fewer side effects than drugs. However, taken internally, or used in high amounts and for long periods of time, can prove toxic.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not use Deep Blue Soothing Blend without their doctor’s approval. The oil molecules are microscopic and can enter the placenta. Or it can be expelled from the mother’s body through milk.
The presence of methyl salicylate (Wintergreen & Ylang Ylang) can cause cardiac problems. Thus, if you’re on heart medication or anticoagulants, you must avoid this blend. Avoid it if you didn’t consult with your doctor. Don’t use it on children or elderly people either.
People with low blood pressure or prone to seizures should also avoid Deep Blue. Those that also suffer from allergies and/or asthma should consult their doctor first.
There are a few aromatic oils that could cause serious problems. For example Peppermint, Blue Tansy, and Wintergreen.
The doTERRA Deep Blue uses are many and it can be used safely. It’s safe as long as you’ll follow these few safety guidelines.
How to Use Deep Blue Blend
Being a very concentrated essential oil blend, Deep Blue must not be used pure. This means that for topical applications, it has to be diluted first with some carrier oil.
For muscle soreness or joint pain in general, the best carriers are those with anti-inflammatory effects. That will enhance the effect of the blend. Some of the best anti-inflammatory carrier (vegetable) oils are:
- CBD Hemp
- Black seed (Nigella)
That being said, you can use the Deep Blue essential oil blend in:
- Massages – Mix 6 – 12 drops of Deep Blue oil blend with an ounce of carrier. Massage the affected area and keep it very warm. Warmth opens up the pores and allows the oils to absorb into the skin faster. Heat is also analgesic, meaning it helps take the pain away.
- Diffusion – Add a few drops of doTERRA Deep Blue to your Aromatherapy diffuser. The amount should vary depending on how large the room is. Usually between 5 and 10 drops should be enough for a moderate to a large room. Air diffusions should not last longer than 30 minutes. The best way to enjoy the scent and benefits of Aromatherapy is to diffuse every 2 hours in well-ventilated rooms. Otherwise, the air can get saturated and lead to headaches and/or nausea. There are some studies that show how 60+ minutes of inhalation cause opposite effects.
- SPA baths – Mix 10 – 15 drops of Deep Blue blend with a cup of salt. It can be Epsom or it can be Himalayan (pink), sea or Mediterranean. Add it to hot bathwater, soak in and inhale deeply.
Now you know how to use doTERRA Deep Blue essential oil blend. Keep in mind though, that this blend should not be used for long periods of time. This may lead to sensitization or liver/kidney toxicity.
Luckily, this blend of essential oils can help you make your own massage oil. For that, you can use any type of carrier oil and perhaps even add another drop or two of other essences. Here’s a simple enhanced recipe, if you want to try it.
Deep Blue Essential Oil Roll On Recipe
- doTERRA Deep Blue Soothing blend: 3 drops
- Cypress essential oil: 3 drops
- Lemon essential oil: 3 drops
- Tamanu oil: 1 Oz (30ml)
Give the blend a good shake before each use. You can store it in plastic containers too. The essential oils are too diluted to be able to damage the plastic.
Apply a few drops on the affected area, as many times as necessary. Don’t use this blend or the Deep Blue alone for more than 2 weeks.
Other doTERRA Deep Blue Products
Deep Blue is the name of an essential oil blend. But it is also the name of a whole line of products. The blend is a very successful product. It’s why it has been made into roll-ons, rubs, and sensitive skin friendly blends.
The purpose of this line is to enhance the effects of the blend. But these other Deep Blue products have been made for easier access and comfort.
doTERRA Deep Blue Rub
– This is a topical cream, formulated with essential oils found in the Soothing Blend. It contains some additional oils like Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Almond oil and Aloe. It’s ready-made, therefore the blend is easier to use and apply. Being a cream, its texture will obviously be different than the Deep Blue blend. The doTERRA Deep Blue Rub reviews are all positive. More than 80% of users are happy with it and recommend it for daily use.
doTERRA Deep Blue Touch
– This is also a ready-made essential oil blend, for a more comfortable use. It is destined for people with more sensitive skin. It contains the same essential oils as those of the essential oil blend. These essences are mixed with Fractionated Coconut oil. Deep Blue Touch offers the same cooling and soothing sensation.
doTERRA Deep Blue Roll-On
– This is basically Deep Blue essential oil blend in a larger bottle. It just has a roller-ball applicator. All its ingredients are mixed in a dark colored 10 ml (0.33 Oz) bottle. doTERRA suggests applying it directly on painful areas. I don’t agree though, as the blend is much too concentrated. It can irritate the skin, or even sensitize or burn it. The best way of using this Deep Blue roll-on is to first apply the carrier on the affected area. Then rub some of the roll-on blend on it.
doTERRA Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex
– This product represents the ingestible part of the Deep Blue products. It contains polyphenol extracts that have the role to support aching muscles. Polyphenols are known to have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Frankincense, turmeric, ginger, green tea, grapes, and pomegranate are all great at this job. However, these doTERRA Deep Blue pills should only be taken after consulting with a doctor. The dose and treatment period is established after a thorough checkup.
It would be more comfortable to use ready-made blends, but it is just as easy to make one yourself. You only need the initial Deep Blue Soothing Essential Oil Blend. You can mix it with any carrier you have at hand and you’re ready to go.
The benefits and uses of the Deep Blue essential oil blend are all related to aches and pains. Luckily, the ingredients in Deep Blue are known to have pain killing effects. Most people who’ve also tried the blend could see improvement. All that’s left is to simply give it a try if it sounds good to you.
Have you ever thought about using the doTERRA Deep Blue until now? Or maybe you know people who have and recommended it to you. What do they say about it?