Coconut oil is famous for its nourishing, antibacterial and antiviral effects. All these make Coconut oil for ringworm one of the best natural remedies. Luckily, there’s so much more to it, and its use, besides being effective, is extremely easy too.
This article is about:
- The properties that make Coconut oil so good in the treatment of ringworm. I will tell you more about what science discovered in their latest research. It’s important to have proof for some of its effects, to trust the oil.
- The best way to use Coconut oil to treat ringworm.
- Remedies and recipes that will help you start the treatment right away. In that section, you can also find suggestions about the best essential oils to use to cure or prevent ringworm.
- Finally, some safety words and tips to help you clear the infection and prevent it.
Why Use Coconut Oil for Ringworm? Properties, Effects and Benefits
Can Coconut oil cure ringworm? This is a very good question. The good news is that ringworm symptoms can be treated with Coconut oil. The not so good news is that there isn’t really a cure for ringworm itself. That is due to the fact that some are more prone to developing the disease than others.
There are other factors that make the disease return, but they can usually be controlled. I’m talking about a good hygiene, diet and using preventive natural lotions.
These lotions can all be made very simply with Coconut oil. There are other ingredients that can be used with Coconut too. They can enhance its effects and increase its power. I will tell you more about them further down the article.
Now, let’s see what makes the oil a good natural remedy for ringworm.
It is its chemical composition that makes it special. Coconut oil is a rich natural source of Lauric acid.
- Coconut oil contains Lauric acid in a proportion of about 50%.
- It also contains other beneficial fatty acids. Capric acid (6 – 7%), myristic, linoleic and caprylic acid.
Research shows that Lauric acid can kill fungi, bacteria and even viruses. When it enters the body (via skin or ingestion), the acid is processed and transformed into monolaurin. Biologically speaking, monolaurin is much more active and has a greater power.
But, no one knows yet how much monolaurin can be obtained from a certain given amount of Lauric acid (Coconut oil).
What it is known is that Lauric acid as it is has impressive antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. The use of Coconut oil for ringworm can also:
- Relieve itchiness and redness of the skin.
- It can also nourish the skin so that its flaking can be prevented.
- Coconut is soothing and calming, two great benefits for the ringworm – affected skin.
- It can also restore the protective barrier of the skin. That can protect from further infections.
- Coconut, thanks to its composition can also boost the immune system. A stronger immune system can also fight microorganisms like dermatophytes. They are mold-like fungi that cause the ringworm infection.
Did You Know?
- Lauric acid is found in human breast milk. It is the main antiviral and antibacterial substance that protects a baby from infections.
So, is Coconut oil good for ringworm treatment? Yes, it is. Coconut oil can kill positive- and negative-gram bacteria, certain fungi and viruses.
How does Coconut oil work in ringworm treatment?
It wraps around the protective shield of the fungus and causes its disintegration. It has significant antimicrobial properties. Because of that, Coconut oil can also stop the pathogens from multiplication. Find more technical details and a list of germs, bacteria and viruses the oil is good for.
Another great thing about Coconut oil is that it can enhance the activity of natural antibiotics. Applied to the skin, a blend of the two is more efficient.
In other words, mix Coconut with a powerful essential oil with antibiotic effects. Apply the mixture topically and it will penetrate fast and deep into the skin. Thus, it can improve the ringworm symptoms until complete healing.
How to Use Coconut Oil to Treat Ringworm
Coconut is a vegetable (carrier) oil. It is full of essential fatty acids and it leaves a fatty film on the skin. That fatty film protects the skin, nourishes it and maintains it elastic and hydrated. Coconut oil is a great moisturizer.
Yet, it’s not recommended for face skin care if it is oily or combination. It isn’t good for those skin types because it’s comedogenic. This means it can clog the pores and cause more acne for problematic skin.
The oil can be applied as it is directly on the affected area. Coconut is perfect for massage lotions or blends. You can mix it with essential oils to enhance its effects.
Ringworm must be treated with care and attention. This means you must always use disposable gloves for each application. Also, always wash your hands afterward. Ringworm is highly contagious and you can get the infection everywhere on the body.
With Coconut oil, you can treat mild to moderate ringworm infections. Apply a ringworm blend up to 4 times a day on a clean and very well dried skin.
It is mandatory to apply your treatment at least twice a day; once before bed. If the infection is more severe, you should go to the doctor as soon as possible.
This next section is all about remedies and recipes with Coconut oil for ringworm. Get your inspiration from there or use the ones I give you to start soothing the infection.
Remedies and Recipes with Coconut Oil and Essential Oils for Ringworm
The oil can be used as it is and still help your skin heal faster. But there are other natural ingredients you can use with Coconut oil. That if you need to enhance its effects and make the ringworm treatment more efficient.
Coconut Oil plus Garlic Essential Oil
Garlic is one of the most powerful natural antibiotics. It has impressive antibacterial and antifungal properties. These benefits make from garlic a trusted remedy against ringworm.
Garlic essential oil is very powerful and concentrated. This means you have to use only 1 or 2 drops for a powerful natural remedy. It doesn’t smell too nice but it does a great job.
Combined with Coconut oil, the two can make an efficient blend. They’ll be anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and nourishing for the affected skin.
Fast and Simple Remedy Recipe for Ringworm
- Coconut oil: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic essential oil: 2 drops
Use this blend in the first 2 – 3 days of the infection. Use disposable gloves when applying and massaging the lotion into your affected skin. Always apply on a very clean and dry skin.
Coconut Oil plus Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea Tree is one of the most popular natural antibacterials. It is also among the most studied and tested essential oils. Research shows it can kill lots of gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. It can also kill germs and certain viruses.
Because of all these benefits, the oil can make a great blend for ringworm. It is also well-tolerated by most skin types, making it useful for sensitive people too.
Tea Tree with Coconut oil for ringworm treatment is among the most efficient natural remedies. Tea Tree can also be diffused into the atmosphere for air purification. In half an hour it can kill hundreds of strains of bacteria. These strains are capable of causing further infections.
When there’s already an infection, the body’s immune system is weakened. This means other bacteria and viruses can attack it. Preventing is a way better option than treating.
Diffuse up to 8 drops of Tea Tree in a well-ventilated room, for 30 minutes, every 2 hours. Otherwise, the essential oil will saturate the air and cause nausea or headaches.
Concentrated Coconut Oil Blend Recipe for Ringworm
- Tea Tree essential oil: 6 drops
- Thyme essential oil: 4 drops
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp.
- Black seed oil: 1 tbsp.
Mix these oils together and shake well before each application. Massage it for 2 minutes into the affected skin and the area around it. But first, clean and dry the skin thoroughly.
Coconut Oil and Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano is another strong natural antibiotic. It is often used in the treatment of ringworm. It’s great at boosting the immune system and dealing with a wide range of infections.
Oregano’s main chemical constituent is carvacrol. This substance is a proven antifungal and anti-parasitic. It acts just like Coconut oil, in that it penetrates the protective shell of the bacteria and destroys it.
Together with Oregano, Coconut oil could cure mild to moderate ringworm infections. Here’s a simple, yet powerful blend:
- Oregano EO: 8 drops
- Coconut oil: 1 tablespoon
Shake well before use and apply all over the affected skin and the area around it. Wear gloves and wash your hands after application. Make sure you don’t touch other skin areas, because ringworm is highly infectious.
Other great essential oils for ringworm treatment are:
- Star Anise
- Rosemary (ct. cineole)
Apple Cider Vinegar plus Salt, followed by Coconut Oil
The vinegar is antiseptic because of its high content of acetic acid. This means it can protect against infections and kill bacteria. When applied to the skin, it may sting because vinegar has astringent effects also.
Salt is a beneficial natural ingredient that can deal with fungi and bacteria too. It can also cleanse the skin on a deep level.
The best way to use these ingredients is together, mixed with some water. Salt doesn’t dissolve in oil. The oil will be applied afterwards.
Ringworm Foot Soak
- Warm water: 2 liters (68 fl. Oz)
- Apple cider vinegar: 1 cup
- Sea or Himalayan salt: ½ cup
Add all these ingredients into a basin and wait a minute or two for the salt to dissolve. Keep your feet in the water until it cools. Pat dry with a soft paper towel because it’s disposable. Let the skin air dry well and then apply your Coconut oil lotion for ringworm. Use gentle massage movements and wear gloves.
Safety Words and Tips
Being a superficial skin infection, ringworm must be treated with care all the time. It’s important to understand the ringworm’s mechanism and why it keeps coming back.
I hope the following tips and safety words will help you get rid of that nasty infection. Remember that good practices make good habits.
- Skin infections like ringworm or mycoses need a thorough hygiene. Avoid walking bare foot in public places like pools or saunas. And avoid using someone else’s socks or shoes. Dry your skin really well after each bath or shower, and apply Coconut oil for ringworm as a preventive measure.
- If the symptoms and skin appearance look worse by the day, do not hesitate to go to the doctor as soon as possible.
- Don’t take antibiotics, whether synthetic or natural, without medical approval. They can destroy the gut flora and cause other infections.
- Wear light and good quality cotton clothes.
- Avoid applying medicinal pads on the affected area. It needs to breathe and stay dry. The tinea fungi-like bacteria thrive on warm and moist skin areas.
- Always apply small amounts of Coconut oil blends.
- Make sure your pet or any other animals are well-groomed and clean before petting them. They are good carriers of this infection.
- Refrain from scratching the ringworm-affected skin. You can make it worse by creating skin lesions that can infect very fast.
- Continue applying a ringworm lotion with Coconut oil for about 2 weeks after the skin healed.
Ringworm is neither easy nor fast to treat, but it is possible to get rid of it on more natural ways. Without taking antibiotics that so easily disrupt the gut and vaginal flora.
These natural remedies involve some pretty powerful plant essences and nut oils. I am talking here about essential oils and carrier oils like Coconut.
Using Coconut oil for ringworm is very simple and easy. You’re not obliged to mix it with essential oils, though they make the treatment more effective. Coconut can also be used as preventive measure, on a clean and well dried skin.
Do you know of any other natural remedies against ringworm? Please share in the comments.