Stress and its effects can be quite devastating on our health, especially if it’s not dealt with in time. Aromatherapy has proven helpful in soothing feelings like anxiety and depression. Thus, a blend that contains oils for this purpose should help a lot. Still, how useful can the doTerra Serenity blend be?
In this article, you’ll be discovering details about:
- What this doTerra soothing blend is and what it contains. I will tell you what each oil is good for and how, together, they could deliver what doTerra says they do.
- The benefits of the Serenity blend when used topically or aromatically.
- Blend reviews or otherwise said, what other people think about the blend. You’ll not have to read everything people said. Mainly because I’ll be outlining the main ideas about each benefit or bad thing I find.
- The best place(s) where you can find and buy a doTerra Restful blend.
- Side effects and safety tips for a safe use of the blend. Plus tips on how to properly use it.
- The fragrance notes of the Serenity blend and recipes for well-being and skin care.
What is in doTerra Serenity Restful Blend? Studies, Benefits, Reviews and Where to Buy
First of all, Serenity is not an essential oil. The doTerra Serenity blend is a mix of 9 essential oils. They work together to induce calmness and relaxation. This doTerra oil blend is meant to balance the mind and calm the body.
We all know, or at least heard about the damaging effects of long-term stress.
- The nature of the stressing factor
- The number of stressing factors
- And their duration can all damage the health.
The body sees stress as a threat. Whenever the mind feels in danger, response changes start to occur. The central nervous system releases hormones that make muscular exertion possible.
It is the brain’s fight-or-flight response that applies to stressful factors. In small doses and rare occasions this response may be beneficial. On a long term, it severely affects the integrity of the muscles, bones, organs and of course, the mood.
Aromatherapy uses essential oils as a complementary therapy. This means that one could use aroma oils in parallel with prescribed medication. This is possible as long as they don’t interact with each other.
Essential oils have a beneficial effect on our central nervous system. They contain tens or even hundreds of tiny active molecules. Once inhaled, these molecules can communicate all sorts of signals. They affect the olfactory system and brain and “tell” them to release neurotransmitters.
These neurotransmitters then regulate the mood. Serotonin and dopamine are two powerful neurotransmitters stimulated by volatile molecules.
Together, they can help your body move agilely and maintain your mind calm. They can also increase focus and resist mood disorders.
The exact working mechanism of aromatic oils is not yet known, though there are many hypotheses available. Some studies though, concluded that Aromatherapy seems to balance the nervous activity.
Let’s see now what makes the doTerra Serenity essential oil blend useful at relieving stress-related problems.
Lavender – This popular essential oil has been studied more often than others. It can soothe muscle spasms and their involuntary contractions. A few studies show that the oil of Lavender can relieve anxiety, mildly sedate and regulate the mood.
Ylang Ylang – is another essential oil that helps with muscle contraction. It induces relaxation because of the geranyl acetate it contains. Ylang Ylang can also lower the blood pressure.
Marjoram – It is also known as Sweet Marjoram essential oil. It is highly relaxant and has a strong effect on the nervous system. This makes Marjoram great at relieving anxiety. Marjoram can also maintain the balance between calm and active. It is also great for insomnia.
Roman Chamomile – Is one of the best calming and sedating essential oils. It can also help the muscles relax and soothe pain. Roman Chamomile oil could also help with claustrophobia (fear of enclosed spaces).
Hawaiian Sandalwood – This type of Sandalwood is different from the white Sandalwood variety. It is good for stress and emotional tension.
Cedarwood – This essential oil improves blood circulation and protects from viral infections. It has more stimulant effects that can balance the sedating ones.
Ho Wood – This essential oil is related to Ravintsara oil. It’s high in camphor, which relaxes the muscles, calms down the body and mind and sedates.
Vetiver root – This essential oil is quite famous for inducing well-being and relaxation. The doTerra Vetiver oil is used to enhance and balance the other oils’ effects. One study showed that it also has refreshing properties and can keep the mind more alert.
Vanilla absolute – This is not an essential oil, but a thicker extract. It has a powerful fragrance, warm and sweet that induces a good feeling. It’s great for depression, anxiety, low libido and high blood sugar. Vanilla oil can also regulate the hormonal activity. This makes it useful in soothing PMS symptoms too.
This is a new and improved Serenity essential oil blend. Vetiver, Ho Wood and Cedarwood have been added recently to enhance the effects of the blend.
Now that you know what each aromatic oil can do, let’s see what the whole blend’s benefits are:
- It induces physical relaxation because of the antispasmodic oils. Calming down muscle spasms can help relieve all tension and relax the body.
- Mental relaxation is also promoted. Of course, it all starts in the brain by stimulating the right neurotransmitters.
- There are many essences that have anti-inflammatory effects in this blend. Thus, the doTerra Serenity blend can soothe inflammation. In some milder cases, they could even prevent it. Long-term stress is known to cause inflammation in the body.
- The blend can induce a peaceful feeling that in turn, favors sleep.
- Can calm down hyper-emotivism.
- Help with grief feelings.
- Change the atmosphere of a home.
- The Serenity oil blend can also purify the air you breathe. It can do that because they kill bacteria and other pathogens. Thus, diffusing it regularly may prevent viral infections, especially in the cold season.
- Also, having stimulant effects too, the blend could help strengthen the immune system.
- It can also lower the blood pressure and heart rate. Regulated breathing induces calm and peace. Think about someone sleeping, the way they breathe is total relaxation.
- You could also benefit from the blend’s pain-relieving effects. doTerra Serenity can also balance the hormones.
- Overall improved mood is the ultimate goal that this oil blend may help you achieve.
doTerra recommends using their Serenity blend with their Serenity Restful Complex soft gels. However, I believe the dose may be too much to take without the advice of a doctor.
doTerra Serenity Reviews
This is the kind of blend that, because of its scent, you either like it or you don’t. It has a very strong fragrance, which most people find calming and grounding. Other users however, felt it was too much and couldn’t use it because of it.
Others accepted the smell and moved on, using the Serenity blend for its therapeutic effects. I have a special section about its fragrance notes further down the article. Read it to find out more about this smell that could or could not appeal to you.
Otherwise, most people (about 73% of them) were happy with the blend. They said it has helped them sleep when no other medicine could. Most often, they speak about feeling more relaxed and calm after inhaling the blend.
As you can see, most reviews for the doTerra Serenity essential oil blend are positive. The results you get with Aromatherapy depends a lot on:
- The way you use them,
- For how long you use them,
- Other health conditions,
- And the quantity you use.
This is something I’ll be talking about in a few paragraphs. The way you use this blend is very important, as you probably know. They may be natural extracts but they can also harm the body, especially if they’re used in high amounts.
Where to Buy a doTerra Serenity Blend
If you live near a doTerra advocate, you can buy it from him/her. If you don’t, you’ll be able to find the blend on Amazon. Just make sure they deliver to your country and you’ll soon be the owner of a Serenity blend.
Upon receiving the bend, you should look for a few signs of authenticity and quality:
- The oil blend must be clear, with no sediments on the bottom of the bottle.
- It should come in a dark colored glass bottle, just like in the picture.
- On the label, you should find the names of the oils it contains and other safety measures.
- When you open the bottle, there should be no sticky residue. Stickiness is a sign of oxidation. Read more about the shelf life of aroma oils.
- Being a blend of so many essences, it is rather hard to figure out whether the smell is what it should be. But if, for some reason you find it off, you’d better return it.
doTerra Serenity Blend Side Effects, How to Use It and Safety Tips
There is no doubt that Aromatherapy is a far safer complementary therapy than pills. They have less side effects and a high tolerance. Still, under certain circumstances, Aromatherapy should not be used without proper medical guidance.
The following circumstances/conditions need a doctor’s consultation or approval:
- Babies and infants.
- People with asthma or allergies.
- People with seizures or epilepsy.
- People with cancer.
- Those who take hormones.
- People with cardiovascular problems.
- Elderly people.
Some of the oils in the Serenity essential oil blend can make the blood too fluid (Lavender). Others can lower blood pressure, which is not good for those with already low BP (hypotension). Ylang Ylang and Marjoram are two oils that lower BP.
Vetiver could trigger asthma attacks, and Roman Chamomile seizures and vertigo. Cedarwood is an abortifacient, meaning it can induce miscarriage.
These side effects may happen only when high amounts are ingested or inhaled. In small to moderate doses, they are safe if your health is in relatively good condition. For any other specific conditions, seek medical advice before using Serenity.
Also, the blend has the potential of sensitizing or irritating the skin. Always test it for allergic reactions, on a small skin patch. The same goes for all the sensitive membranes of the body (nose, ear canal and eardrum, eyes, throat, etc.).
How to Use the Serenity doTerra Restful Blend
As you can see, there could be side effects even for something as natural as this doTerra Serenity blend. It is always good to make your own research on each oil used in a blend. You never know which one’s going to react with your medication or harm your condition.
You now know that the Serenity blend is very concentrated. This means it should never be used topically, unless well-diluted first. The best dilution is done with the help of carrier oils.
You could use anything you have handy or you prefer. From Olive or unrefined Sunflower oils to Macadamia, Argan, Coconut, etc.
Use no more than 6 – 8 drops of blend per Oz (30ml) carrier oil. Massage it into pulse points like the wrists and neck or along the spine and on the soles of the feet.
The best method of enjoying the benefits of the doTerra Restful blend is by diffusion. This method ensures that about 70% of the active oil molecules will enter your body.
Topical massage with this blend ensures that only 5 – 10% of the oil molecules will reach the blood and tissue.
Some manufacturers of Aromatherapy diffusers recommend using a certain amount of oil drops. You should go with that recommendation. Otherwise, use no more than 10 drops per diffusion session.
This quantity may be more or less though, depending on how large the room is.
A healthy diffusion session should last 20 – 30 minutes, every 2 hours (if needed). Also, the room in which you diffuse essential oils should be well-ventilated. The best way to do it is to leave a window ajar to make sure the air circulates.
It is neither wise nor recommended to sleep with a diffuser on. Smell receptors become numb after about 20 minutes. This means you’ll not be able to smell the blend after that time. This leads to wasted product, of course.
Studies also show that 60+ minutes of inhalation has opposite effects. It makes the body and mind more agitated, anxious and stressed.
The oils will continue diffusing/dissipating through the atmosphere even after you’ve turned the diffuser off. Long diffusion can saturate the air and cause headaches and nausea.
I do not recommend taking doTerra Serenity soft gels internally, of your own accord. The dosage must be right for your age, condition, gender and medical history. Only a doctor can help you here, so consult him before taking the soft gels.
Safety Tips for Using the Serenity Essential Oil Blend
This is a small recap of what’s been said until now. If you missed anything, then this is a good chance to catch up and use your Serenity blend safely.
- Before topical application, always dilute the blend with some carrier oil.
- Avoid its use in large amounts and on a long term. You could use other blends alternatively.
- Consult your doctor before using the doTerra Serenity blend if you have a condition. In case of asthma, allergies, diabetes, low or high blood pressure, cancer, etc.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should always consult their doctor too.
- The blend should not be used with children, especially infants. It can be done only after discussing the possibility with a doctor.
- Make sure the oil is in good condition and still valid when you start using it.
- Don’t diffuse Serenity for longer than 30 minutes, every 2 hours. And certainly, don’t fall asleep with the diffuser on.
- Maintain the room well ventilated while diffusing Aromatherapy oil blends like Serenity.
Fragrance Notes plus doTerra Serenity Blend Recipes and Uses
Perfumery is a very well-developed industry. Besides synthetic fragrances, perfumers use natural plant extracts too. Essential oils and absolutes are among the main ingredients of many famous perfumes.
doTerra describes the fragrance of their Serenity Restful blend: warm, floral and herbal. Lavender, Marjoram, Chamomile and Vetiver are all herbal, with some floral tints. Sandalwood is warm and resinous, while Ho Wood is a bit spicy and soft.
The latter also has camphoraceous notes. Ylang Ylang is one of the sweet florals with some spiciness in it (lovely scent!). Cedarwood is also spicy and soft. Vanilla… well, we’re all familiar with its sweet, warm and oriental fragrance.
Now all these scents mix together and continue maturating for months. This means that your Serenity blend may change its fragrance every week. Its herbal notes may be a problem for some, though not necessarily. It’s just that they may not appeal to everyone.
Ho Wood, Vanilla and Cedarwood have been added recently. If you’ve used the Serenity blend before this recipe upgrade, it’ll smell differently from what you knew.
The Serenity Restful blend may also be mixed with other essential oils. Some of them can be Lemon and Lime, Tea Tree, Peppermint and Spearmint, Frankincense, etc.
Basically, with other essences that belong to the same families like the blend’s ingredients. Floral, herbal, spicy and resinous aromas blend well with doTerra’s Serenity oil blend.
Serenity Blend Recipes for Skin Care and Well-Being
Time to get practical again! Choose any of the following recipes to use your doTerra Serenity blend. Keep in mind that Serenity is already concentrated enough with all its 9 aromatic oils.
You should keep your recipes as simple as possible so the skin and body may benefit from them easier.
doTerra Skin Clearing Blend Recipe
- doTerra Serenity blend: 5 drops
- Rose essential oil: 3 drops
- Carrier oil for your skin type: 1 Oz (30ml)
Mix all the oils together and shake well before each use. Apply on a clean, damp face and neckline, avoiding the eye area. All these oils may irritate your eyes. Rose has high antioxidant effects and blends really well with the Serenity blend. It is a great anti-aging and skin clearing recipe!
Alternative to doTerra Serenity Blend (Recipe)
- Sweet Orange essential oil: 20 drops
- Sweet Marjoram essential oil: 10 drops
- Rose essential oil (Otto): 10 drops
Mix all these essences in a dark colored glass bottle. Use only a few drops in a diffuser and enjoy their relaxing effects.
This recipe is an alternative to doTerra’s Serenity blend for when you need to take a short break. All those aromatic oils have a calming, relaxing effect. They can also help with inflammation and pain, and insomnias.
doTerra Calming Roll-On Blend Recipe
- Serenity Restful blend: 25 drops (roughly 1 ml)
- Sweet Almond oil: 29 ml
- Roll-on bottle: 1 Oz (30ml)
Mix all the ingredients together and give the blend a good shake before each use. The carrier needs to be something without a powerful scent. Apply a moderate amount on key points, every time you need to relax and chase away depression/anxiety.
So, can the doTerra Serenity blend induce calmness and relaxation? Can it promote a better, more restful sleep? Most of the Serenity blend reviews are positive, showing it does work.
Research also supports, with more or less conclusive proof, that Aromatherapy can indeed affect the mood.
All that’s left is for you to give it a try, keeping in mind its potential side effects too. Or maybe you’ve already used it? What do you think about the Serenity Restful blend?