Patchouli! It sounds so exotic. Luckily there’s not just a name to it. Women can now use it to improve the condition of their skin, but they can also use Patchouli essential oil to improve the condition of their hair and nails too. In this article I’ll show you how to use Patchouli essential oil in your daily skincare.
Patchouli essential oil is a wealth of benefits and uses. There are a few good recipes that you can definitely use for your skin to look younger. Or you can use them to get rid of those scars or stretch marks. That is another topic I’m going to cover: recipes for a great looking skin!
You will also see why Patchouli oil is a good asset to have in your home. Among other benefits, it can treat and prevent a wide range of health and skin issues.
For those interested in growing Patchouli and producing essential oil there is a lot to know. But that’s another story. Here we’re only interested in Patchouli essential oils.
The uses for Patchouli essential oil in skincare are many, simple and fast to use. And you’ll also find out about all its properties and benefits. With the recipes I’m going to give you, you’ll probably want to introduce it in your natural medicine cabinet.
Did You Know?
- 1,600 kilograms of dried Patchouli leaves give around 40 kilograms of essential oil. All those 1,600 kg of dried leaves come from around 8,000 kg of fresh leaves.
Patchouli grows in tropical climate. There are wide crops of patchouli plants all over China, Malaysia, India, and Indonesia. But they’re in Thailand also, and Taiwan, Vietnam, the Philippines and Singapore. You can find these crops in Mauritius, Brazil and Hawaii too.
Patchouli essential oil is obtained through the steam or hydro distillation of its leaves. It has a specific aroma that once you smell it, you will perhaps like it and continue using it. Or you won’t like it and you won’t even stand the smell of it on someone else.
That aroma is very strong and it’s a lot like the smell of earth, musk and wood. Yet, it also has a very gentle sweetness in it. But this aroma is less visible if the oil comes from fresh leaves. Like I said, Patchouli fragrance can either be liked or not.
Did You Know?
- Patchouli essential oil has a unique trait. This feature sets it apart from the other essential oils. Just like the wine, Patchouli oil becomes better as it gets older. Its color changes into amber from pale yellow and the aroma becomes richer.
How to Use Patchouli Essential Oil in Skincare
Botanical name: Pogostemon cablin, pogostemon patchouli
Method of extraction: Steam distillation
Color: Light yellow to dark golden brown (amber)
Texture: Medium to thick
Knowing all these will help you make sure you buy a quality Patchouli essential oil. The two plant names come from the species considered to give the best quality oil. You’ll need to pay attention to the label or product description if you want a “therapeutic grade essential oil“.
Now let’s see why and how to use Patchouli essential oil to improve your skin’s condition:
- Patchouli essential oil is good for most skin types.
- Patchouli oil can help balance the production of sebum. So it’s great for oily skin or mixed complexions. It can treat acne too.
- Dry chapped skin, dermatitis, sores or eczema can all be treated with Patchouli oil.
- It’s a good anti-age oil as it prevents the apparition of wrinkles. And the sagging skin or the muscles from becoming loose.
- It can also help with cellulite.
- Helps healing wounds and ulcers. It stops them from becoming septic through serious inflammation.
- Helps the scars fade away. This way all marks caused by pox, acne or even stretch marks can be treated.
Patchouli essential oil is generally well tolerated by the skin. This oil can be applied directly on the skin, without a dilution. Although you should avoid using it undiluted. But it also works great with other essential oils that form a complimentary synergy.
How to use Patchouli essential oil when you want to make sure your skin is also hydrated? Choosing to mix it with other essential oils might make the treatment more effective. And at the same time keep your skin moisturized.
The other oils will combine their properties and work as a team, healing or preventing any skin issue.
All these benefits of Patchouli essential oil make it a great skincare product. One that every woman should have at hand whenever she needs to treat one of the above mentioned skin issues.
What are the Health Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil?
Patchouli essential oil is not only good for the skin. But it can also maintain the health of our organs if we take it internally. It can be taken internally for its many benefits. But only in a small dose and always with the consent of a doctor!
The health benefits of patchouli essential oil are:
a) In case of fever, Patchouli oil can reduce high temperatures. It kills the infection-causing bacteria responsible for the fever.
b) It can soothe the irritations or inflammations of the body. So it can be useful against arthritis, rheumatism or gout pain.
c) Patchouli oil can stimulate the nerves, muscles and the skin. It can stimulate them by contractions. This can lead to stronger gums. Because it is an astringent, Patchouli oil can stop hemorrhages by contracting the veins.
d) Patchouli essential oil can also generate new body cells. And increase the production of red cells in the blood also. The blood cells are usually responsible for the energy level of a person. Helping the blood circulate faster it oxygenates better all the body cells and organs.
e) The strong and characteristic aroma of Patchouli essential oil makes it a good body deodorant. For some people it may completely remove bad smells, while for others it can just mask the body odor.
f) It can lower blood pressure and cholesterol. And also remove most toxins from the body. All that through an increased urination frequency.
g) It inhibits the growth of infections and fungi.
h) It’s a good sedative as it calms down all coughing attacks or convulsions. It also fights the signs of insomnia.
Patchouli Essential Oil Recipes for Skincare
Patchouli essential oil blends well with Clary Sage, Geranium, and Bergamot. But it can also blend well with Myrrh, Frankincense, Ginger, Sandalwood and Lavender. They work well because almost all oils have complimentary properties. But of course, other essential oils can work well with Patchouli oil too.
Anti-age Facial Oil with Patchouli
- Carrier oil: 30 ml (1 oz.) – You can use Jojoba oil but my favorite is olive oil, which will work great also.
- Geranium: 3 drops
- Rose: 2 drops
- Patchouli: 3 drops
This Patchouli essential oil recipe is great for all skin types. But it’s better especially for aging and oily skin. So if you have them both, then it’s the right recipe for you. You can use it whenever but I suggest you use it each night to work faster.
Geranium essential oil tightens the skin, preventing it from sagging or developing wrinkles.
Rose essential oil can kill all bacteria on the skin and it can heal all kinds of marks and scars.
As you can see, Patchouli essential oil blends well with many essential oils and carrier oils. Because of that you can use it with confidence. Of course, I recommend you use it in reasonable doses. And always use small doses when considering taking it internally.
Face and Body Patchouli Scrub
- Yoghurt (simple): 1/4 cup or more
- Cornmeal, sugar or coffee: 1/4 cup or more
- Lavender: 5 drops
- Tea Tree: 8 drops
- Patchouli: 5 drops
Feel free to increase the dosage from each ingredient if you’re using it on the whole body. But make sure you know your measures first. Keep in mind that essential oils are very concentrated. This body scrub will also work against all scars or stretch marks.
How to Use Patchouli Essential Oil for a Hand Cream
- Olive oil: ½ cup
- Coconut oil: ¼
- Beeswax: ¼
- White Fir essential oil: 10 drops
- Patchouli: 15 drops
Because Patchouli essential oil blends well with carrier oils, you can also use other essential oils to boost up the blend. The White Fir will bring that little extra to your mood and energize your whole self.
I think if you try one of these Patchouli essential oil recipes you will have a good idea on how well the oil works.
Did You Know?
- In 1985 the action figure toy Stinkor was made by Mattel from Patchouli essential oil. They used it in the toy’s plastic material.
How to Use Patchouli Essential Oil for Emotional Benefits and Other Uses
It is a well-known fact that most essential oils have the ability to alter our moods. They can calm us down or lift up our spirits. And Patchouli oil makes no exception.
It has powerful compounds. They travel to our brain pretty fast through breathing or through skin. This is something to consider when dealing with essential oils.
How to use Patchouli essential oil to calm down your emotional episodes? We all have them and sometimes they’re so not helping. But don’t stress. Whether you’re feeling down or tensioned, or feeling the anxiety and the stress, you can use a few drops of Patchouli essential oil to feel better.
I was saying a bit earlier that Patchouli oil is a sedative. Besides stopping epileptic attacks and convulsions it can also stop panic attacks.
- It relaxes the body until you’re able to fall into a restful sleep.
- Helps restoring the peace of mind.
- Drives away negative thoughts like sadness or loneliness.
How can Patchouli oil do all that?
By stimulating the hormones responsible for feeling pleasure, like dopamine and serotonin. When we breathe in Patchouli essential oil, its compounds produce a chemical reaction in our body. That chemical reaction reaches our blood and then influences our hormones. It makes them release substances that make our anxiety or stress disappear.
- It can be used to remove bad smells from shoes, especially from work boots.
- A few drops in the washing machine will also remove bad smells from your clothes.
- Dry leaves can keep away moths.
- Patchouli essential oil is considered an aphrodisiac because it stimulates the sex hormones. Thus making the partners more interested.
- It can also treat many sexual dysfunctions like frigidity, impotency or low libido.
- Patchouli oil keeps all insects at a distance. You can use a few drops on your skin or diffuse them into the air.
Safety Words for Patchouli Essential Oil
How to use Patchouli essential oil doesn’t need a lot of extra care, as long as you keep it under normal doses. Yet, there are a few things you should know about when using Patchouli on you or inside your home:
- Its fragrance is quite powerful even though it has some sweet scents in it as well.
- This aroma can cause irritation to sensitive people.
- By diffusing it in a small chamber, in a higher than necessary dose, the smell can seep deep into the clothes, sheets and furniture.
- It may cause overstimulation.
- It can also have strong sedative effects if overusing it.
Patchouli is widely spread throughout Asia and other tropical regions. You might as well grow some Patchouli in a vase, but the quality of the oil might suffer greatly. But the uses for Patchouli essential oil are so many that it’s almost paramount you have it around your house.
How to use Patchouli essential oil? Well, not only does it cure and prevent so many skin issues but it is also very useful in keeping us healthy and in a good mood. No more inflammations, fever or fungi. On top of that it can also contribute to a healthier sexual life. What more could we ask for from this amazing essential oil!?
Do you have a preferred method where you use Patchouli essential oil? Did you like its smell from the beginning? I’d like to find out about your experience with it and maybe someone else could get inspiration from it too. I’ll look forward in your comments.