Life is not always milk and honey, and sometimes, men and women everywhere experience a lower libido. Before stressing yourself out about its exact cause, you should first try using some good essential oils for sex drive.
They’re known aphrodisiacs and their benefits can help with much more than mood enhancement.
This article is all about:
- Hormones and their role in a person’s sexual life and desire.
- Some of the best essential oils for sex and libido. You’ll get the pros and cons for each oil to help you decide which one to use in various situations.
- How to use these natural aphrodisiac essential oils to put your partner in the right mood. Find out how to also perform a correct sensual massage.
- The various causes of a low libido in women and men and how they manifest.
- Plus, some tips on how to maintain a good, healthy sexual desire and improve your life quality and relationship.
Let’s Talk about Hormones and the Best Essential Oils for Sex (Increased Libido)
Procreation is in the genes of all life forms on this planet. Most species do it simply to pass on their genes. Some die afterwards, like insects and small animals do. There are countless sexual habits and behaviors in the animal and plant kingdom.
A few mammals are known to really enjoy sexual intercourse and look for it for their own pleasure. The human race places a lot of importance on sexual activity. It goes well beyond the mere role of reproduction.
Sexual behavior and attraction are very complex processes. The brain plays an extremely important role in the appetite of a person. One needs to be relaxed and to see, hear and feel pleasant things to get stimulated.
There are all sorts of chemical reactions and neurotransmitters involved in sexual arousal. These hormones influence the sexual desire (libido), especially in women. Fluctuations are normal, but they become a problem when a long time passes and the desire hasn’t yet returned.
Many things can cause this to happen. Some can be related to a lack of interest and attraction for the partner or hormonal imbalances. But psychological trauma or blockages may stand in the way of love fulfillment too.
These are also known factors that can hinder the libido of a person. From ancient times, people have been preoccupied with their love life. There are many foods and plants that are considered aphrodisiacs.
An aphrodisiac is a substance (food, plants, drugs, etc.) that arouses the libido. It can also induce desire and increase performance and pleasure. Depending on the way they act, these aphrodisiacs can be placed into 3 categories:
- Aphrodisiacs that increase the libido.
- Aphrodisiacs that increase the potency.
- And aphrodisiacs that increase the sexual pleasure.
Aromatherapy gives us some really great natural essences that can serve this purpose. Essential oils can stimulate the nerve receptors and communicate with the brain via neurotransmitters.
They can stimulate the production of “feel-good” hormones, relax the body or energize it. They can also improve sexual function and the blood circulation. Thus, they can increase physical performance as well.
One study says that “enhanced sexual behavior may provide increased relationship satisfaction and self-esteem in humans.”
There are many aromatic oils that can be used as aphrodisiacs. Some of the best essential oils for sex drive are Black Pepper, Rose, Ginger and Ylang-Ylang. They’re also among the best essential oils for sensual massages. Further on, you’ll see why and then learn how to use them in a stimulating sensual massage.
1) Black Pepper Essential Oil
Piper nigrum is the plant that gives the fruits also known as black pepper seeds. They are steam distilled for their oils. The pepper seeds give us a precious, woody and spicy essential oil. It is very watery with a green bluish color or no color at all.
- It has sedative and pain-relieving properties.
- Black Pepper essential oil is great for enhanced libido. It can stimulate the blood circulation. And it also maintains the sexual organs in good health.
- It’s a great tonic for the mind and body, being able to stimulate the sexual functions. A tonic is also able to relieve sexual tiredness, thus increasing performance. You could think of Black Pepper as one of the best essential oils for lasting longer in bed.
- The oil of Black Pepper should be used sparingly and always diluted. Applied pure, it can cause the burning of the skin and irritation.
- The oil has cortisone-like effects. This means Black Pepper should not be used for long periods of time (more than 10 continuous days).
- Do not take the oil internally without medical advice! This goes for any essential oil in general.
Why I like it:
Its soft, woody and spicy scent makes for really interesting blends. The oil adds an exotic touch to diffuser and massage blends. In other words, Black Pepper oil is one of the best essential oils for sex drive, love and romance. It can create atmosphere, relax and improve the blood circulation where it matters.
2) Rose Essential Oil
Rosa damascena is one of the most popular and expensive essential oils. The essential oil is watery, whereas the absolute is thick and harder to use for Aromatherapy purposes.
It has a yellow color and a characteristic fragrance. It’s floral, strong and fruity with acidic notes. It also has many health benefits!
- Rose essential oil is not only good for mood enhancement. It can also help with sexual dysfunctions and depression feelings. Rose is a great essential oil for female stimulation.
- It is especially good against sexual tiredness because it can stimulate all the body functions. Rose acts as an aphrodisiac and stimulates the sexual organs.
- The oil of Rose has a very soothing, calming and relaxing effect. Its chemical composition acts directly on the nerve receptors. Next, they relieve spasms and relax the muscles.
- Rose essential oil is very expensive and sometimes hard to find. The absolute is not recommended for therapeutic effects, only for perfumes.
- Buy a pure Rose essential oil from an honest and trustworthy seller to avoid using an adulterated or diluted product.
- Make sure you test the oil for allergic reactions on a small skin patch before any widespread use.
Why I like it:
Rose oil is the definition of luxury and sensuality. It is a great essential oil for arousal and for a low libido. 10 days of using this sensual essential oil, and your sex life should be looking a lot different. It smells incredibly well and creates the proper atmosphere for romance and love. The sight and touch of roses also create romantic connections in the brain.
3) Ginger Essential Oil
Zingiber officinale is the name of another popular essential oil! It has lots of health benefits. Ginger oil is another thin substance, with a yellow to brown color and a spicy, fresh and mild lemony fragrance.
- The spicy and tart scent of Ginger makes it one of the best essential oils for male arousal. The oil can relax the body and nerves, and stimulate the nerve receptors of the brain.
- The oil of Ginger is a sexual tonic. That means it can warm up the senses and maintain them alert during a romantic night.
- Ginger can also act on erectile dysfunctions.
- Some batches of oil may not have a clear and fresh aroma. This depends on when the root has been harvested and how it’s been processed. A reputed seller however, should have good quality products.
- Ginger oil should not be used by pregnant and nursing/breastfeeding women. Its diffusion in this case, should be done with the advice of a medic, and only after the first 3 months.
Why I like it:
Ginger essential oil may be used for an enhanced sex drive as it can stimulate the body and the mind. Its scent makes you think of laid back moments. Or traveling somewhere exotic where there’s only you and your partner, discovering each other. Besides being a good essential oil for libido, Ginger is also great for digestion and nausea.
4) Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil
Cananga odorata, otherwise known as the queen of flowers. Ylang Ylang is a liquid oil that can harden over time. It has a color that ranges between pale yellow to orange and a very floral, jasmine-like scent. It’s one of the best essential oils for female arousal.
Ylang Ylang has many beneficial properties for the health and the mind. But above it all, it is a very pleasant and sensual essential oil.
- Ylang Ylang is among the best essential oils for female stimulation. The oil has calming effects. It soothes and balances the nervous system, regulates the blood pressure and the respiratory rhythm.
- Ylang-Ylang has antispasmodic properties that relax the muscles.
- It acts as a great sexual tonic because of its monoterpene and sesquiterpene alcohols.
- The oil helps dilate the blood vessels and improve the circulation. This feature can benefit both men and women.
- Generally speaking, a boost in estrogen production is a good thing. It’s good to increase the libido. But pregnant and nursing women should avoid the use of Ylang-Ylang for their sex drive stimulation.
- It may be too strong a scent, so Ylang Ylang should be mixed with other essential oils (citruses) when diffused or applied topically.
- Not suited for babies and children younger than 6!
Why I like it:
Its delicate fragrance can uplift and induce a warm, romantic mood. Temporary fatigue and tension in the body can be relieved with a simple massage lotion. If you’re looking for some nice love essential oils, Ylang Ylang should be among the chosen ones.
Other great sensual essential oils for sex drive (aphrodisiacs) are:
- Clove bud
- Clove bud
- Clary sage
These are all great aromatic essences to make DIY massage oils for couples. Since we’re talking about Aromatherapy, let’s not forget about some of the best natural lubricants either. Carrier oils are among the safest lubricants, if not the safest.
They are natural and pure. They also have their own beneficial properties that can deal with vaginal dryness, for instance.
Coconut oil as lubricant is a very good choice. It is the most popular and easy to find in good quality almost everywhere. Oils however, must not be used in combination with latex (condoms).
Other good natural lubricants are Macadamia oil, Jojoba oil, and Argan, Shea and Mango butters. Other vegetable oils and butters can also be used, as long as they are pure and organic.
You should never use essential oils for personal lubricant though. They can irritate or even burn the mucus membranes in the genital area. All essential oils for love and romance should be used only externally. A sexual massage oil recipe for instance, is perfect to induce at least relaxation.
So, what do essential oils for an enhanced sex drive actually do?
- When rubbed on the skin, they increase the body temperature. They have warming effects.
- With their rich fragrances, they open up the mind and make it more receptive to love stimuli.
- Essential oils also improve the blood circulation. This is a major benefit in increasing sexual arousal.
- Their fragrances can also trigger a set of emotional reactions in the brain. That’s why it’s important to choose the fragrances you absolutely love.
- These aromatic oils can also awaken the senses and work magic on your libido!
How to Use Essential Oils for Love and Romance
Essential oils are very concentrated substances. They need to be mixed with a carrier oil before being applied to the skin. Lotion massage recipes are very simple to make. For an aphrodisiac massage oil, it usually takes up to 15 – 20 drops of essential oil drops per Oz carrier oil.
You can also mix up to 10 drops of EO with a cup of Pink or Epsom salt and add it to a steaming bath. The water temperature should be 37 C (98.6 F).
The steam will ensure a good dispersion of the oil molecules you’ll be inhaling. This kind of bath can help you unwind, relax and get in the mood.
Another great way of enjoying the aphrodisiac effects of essential oils for increased libido is by diffusion.
You can use an oil candle burner or an electronic EO diffuser. Add up to 5 – 6 drops in the water recipient and leave it on for 20 – 30 minutes, every 2 hours. Make sure the room is well ventilated while diffusing. That is to avoid headaches or nausea. Some essential oils for love making can have really strong scents.
Steps for a Proper Sensual Massage with Essential Oils
A massage in itself is very relaxing and makes for a great preview of a romantic night. But when you add some essential oils for that romance to be even more intense, a massage can be the catalyst of what’s about to happen.
Nonetheless, this situation asks for a bit of care and caution. You don’t want a simple sensual massage to ruin your romantic night, right?
Are you curious about how to use a massage oil in bed? Read on to find out some good practices and steps toward a relaxing and arousing massage.
- Make sure you and your partner are not allergic to the essential oils you’re about to use. Perform a patch test on the inside of the forearm with a diluted drop of the essential oil you’d like to use. Watch it for a day to see whether there are any allergic reactions.
- Prepare your romantic body massage oil. Warm it between your palms before applying to the other’s skin.
- When you massage your loved one, never touch his or her nose, eyes, ears or mouth with the essential oil blend. Mucus membranes are very sensitive and can suffer burning. That right there is not the recipe for success. The genital area should not be touched with the blend either.
- If using a condom, make double sure the essential oils don’t touch the rubber as they can cause its rupture. Wash your hands with soap after each massage!
- The amount of massage lotion you use on your partner may also influence the outcome. Use only enough to hydrate the skin and get the slippery feel necessary for a pleasant and relaxing massage. Too much oil may drip on the sheets, on the clothes, etc. It can also take away the mood if the person doesn’t like to be super oily. Plus, it would really be in the way of the fun later on.
Step 4 (for women):
- Make your partner lie on his stomach and start massaging his back with gentle, wavy, round movements. Insist on the kidney area with the same movements. Use one hand or both. Finish the massage with the hips and the top of the buttocks.
Step 5 (for men):
- Make your partner lie on her back and massage gently, with small circles followed by larger circles movements. Massage the belly and the bottom of the navel (belly button), and finish with the hips. These are all stimulating points for each sex. The use of essential oils for enhanced mood and libido can speed up the process.
Generally speaking, relaxing massage movements can also be along the spine and the chest, or the soles of the feet.
Essential Oils for Sex and Arousal Blend Recipes
Time for some practice now, and who is more ready for that than you?! You’ve seen how essential oils work for an improved sex drive. Now you should mix and match your oils and let Aromatherapy help you attract more love and romance in your bed. Check out the following romantic massage oil recipes for your next project.
Essential Oils Recipe for Female Libido (Booster)
- Ylang-Ylang essential oil: 6 drops
- Neroli essential oil: 6 drops
- Rose essential oil: 3 drops
- Jojoba oil: 1 Oz (30 ml)
Mix all these oils together and apply as suggested in the above-mentioned steps. Shake the blend well before each use and apply a moderate amount on the key points.
Essential Oils Recipe for Male Libido (Booster)
- Ginger essential oil: 5 drops
- Ylang Ylang essential oil: 5 drops
- Black Pepper essential oil: 5 drops
- Jojoba oil: 1 Oz (30ml)
Follow the instructions from the previous recipe and the steps for a proper sensual massage. This aphrodisiac massage essential oil recipe should be to the liking of many men.
Essential Oils Diffuser Recipe for Love and Desire
- Cinnamon essential oil: 10 drops
- Pine essential oil: 7 drops
- Rose essential oil: 3 drops
- Black Pepper essential oil: 10 drops
- Carrier oil (Optional)
You can add 5 – 6 drops of this essential oil mixture into a diffuser. Or you can mix it with carrier oil to use as massage lotion. If used as lotion, massage along the spine, neck and the chest, morning and night for 10 days. If you make it into a sensual essential oil massage recipe, apply small amounts on key points.
The Libido of Women and Men, and Tips for a Healthy Sexual Drive
Oftentimes, most sexual problems of men and women are psychological in nature. Frigidity and most erectile dysfunctions can be triggered by depression. Psychological trauma and a lack of attraction for the partner can also contribute.
Long relationships may stumble upon blockages that they need to talk about to be able to enjoy their sex life again.
The rest of the sexual problems may be caused by various infections of the reproductive system. Vaginal dryness and a poor circulation are often to blame for sexual dysfunctions.
The low libido of both women and men is often caused by:
- Surgery that can affect the self-image.
- Alcohol excess.
- Lack of communication with the partner.
- Hormonal changes.
All these causes lead to an unsatisfactory sexual life and a lot of frustration. Erectile dysfunctions are known to be caused by vascular problems. That’s why the best essential oils for sex drive are those that stimulate and improve the circulation.
Luckily, Aromatherapy along with other natural remedies (more or less proven) can get you back in the mood. If we were to talk about male impotence, that’s a different health concern. It may have some psychological causes, but the main cause is usually physiological. You can read more about essential oils for impotence here.
Some Practical Tips for an Increased Libido and a Better Sex Life
- It is always a good idea to consult a doctor if your libido has been absent for too long. Certain accidents, hormonal changes or even prescriptions may be the cause. Too much testosterone in the body for instance, can register a low sex drive.
- Talk to your partner about what you feel. Together, you might find a suitable solution.
- If that is not an option, then talk to a professional.
- Unhealthy habits may also contribute to a low libido. Therefore, a few lifestyle changes may prove to be just what you needed. Stop smoking or drinking, sleep more, eat better, practice sports and take it easier.
- Stimulate all your senses by using essential oils for a healthy libido! Diffuse them or use them in DIY sensual massage oil recipes/massage lotions, it doesn’t matter. Just use them, to see how you feel about it all!
Now you know what the best essential oils for sex drive are. Always go for the ones you like best and try to work out all your doubts and insecurities with your partner. No remedy will work completely if the cause is something only you have the power to change!
Diffuse essential oils for love and romance and enjoy each other like never before. Take your time to feel good! Do you have a favorite sensual essential oils blend? Would you like to share it?