With such a wide range of devices, everyone wants to know which is the best Young Living diffuser? There are a few different diffusing technologies available. Young Living devices are designed to meet everybody’s needs and wishes. Check out my Young Living diffuser reviews and tips to choose the one that suits you best.
In this post, you’ll be reading about:
- Why we use essential oils for diffusion, with their properties and action mechanism.
- The benefits of using an Aromatherapy diffuser.
- Learn what the best diffuser is from my in-depth reviews of 8 Young Living devices.
- The best way to use your diffusers to enjoy only the oils’ benefits, without side effects.
- A few Aromatherapy diffuser recipes to help you get started with your new diffuser.
- Finally, some useful comparisons between the most popular aroma devices. Also, see if there’s any difference between Young Living diffusers vs. other brands.
Young Living Diffuser Reviews (Old & New)
Young Living is a world leader in essential oils and Aromatherapy. The company started out in 1994, from Gary Young’s passion for natural essential oils. The Young family (Gary and his wife, Mary) started cultivating their own plants for oil distillation.
Today, through their Seed to Seal registered process, Young Living offers high quality essential oils. They grow and distill oils all over the world (America, Australia, Japan, Europe, etc.). The company is Multi-Level Marketing. It has countless of distributors almost everywhere on the planet.
Essential oils can be used in many different ways. Some ways may be expensive, while others not so much.
Why are we so interested in Aromatherapy diffusers then? Diffusion is the best way of enjoying a high percentage of active oil molecules. 50% – 70% – that’s how much oil you can get inside your body through diffusion/inhalation.
Aromatic oils are volatile substances that can also be inhaled from the bottle. This method however is time consuming and can be costly too.
The more the oil stays exposed to oxygen, the faster it evaporates and oxidizes. A few drops of essence don’t have time to oxidize, as they evaporate very fast.
An aroma diffuser is necessary when we want to enjoy the scent and benefits of oils over a long period of time. It’s useful when we want to relax and relieve stress symptoms. The diffuser allows for an even and slow dispersion of oil molecules into the environment.
Aromatherapy and its working mechanism enjoy some attention from researchers. The few studies that we have available prove that essential oils have many benefits.
- Soothe pain and inflammation.
- Relieve itching and calm down irritation.
- Help close a wound.
- Help heal scars and dark spots.
- Stimulate collagen production and prevent premature aging.
- Fight the harmful effects of free radicals (antioxidants).
- Elevate your mood by direct action on the nervous system.
- Relieve anxiety and depression. Strengthen the immune system.
- Kill bacteria and viruses that are usually resistant to antibiotics.
- Purify the air.
- Clear the respiratory system and relieve congestion.
Aromatic oils are steam distilled from plants. Roots, bark, leaves, flowers, resin, seeds, can all be distilled. They produce these active oil molecules to face infections, UV damage, and predators.
But they also produce them to ensure the survival of their species. They can do that by attracting pollinators with a sweet scent. You could say that these oils make the immune system of the plants.
They may look small, but each 10ml bottle packs some huge potency. Hundreds of kilos of plant material may be needed for those few milliliters of the essence. That’s why, when you diffuse an aromatic oil, you only need to use a few drops.
The benefits of using a Young Living diffuser:
- Change the fragrance and atmosphere in a room.
- Purify the air and prevent many viral infections.
- Disinfect surfaces.
- Improve your breathing.
- Elevate your mood and chase away anxiety and stress.
- Sleep better.
- Get some energy boost.
- Prevent nausea and soothe headaches.
Now you know why essential oil diffusers are important. It’s also time to see what they can do. Hopefully, my reviews here will help you decide easier which Young Living aroma diffuser to choose.
1) Young Living Home Diffuser (Rose-Shaped)
- One of the most attractive features of this Home diffuser is its rose shape.
- It’s an ultrasonic diffuser, meaning it works with water and essential oils. It has a thin membrane that sends vibrations once it’s hit by ultrasonic sounds. Those vibrations split the oil (and water) molecules into microscopic droplets. They will then disperse throughout the atmosphere. They will also float for a while, before dropping down. The attached water molecules will draw the oil molecules down.
- It’s designed with ambient light control. The light can be turned off by pressing its button for 2 seconds.
- The run settings refer to alternating 30-second on/off or continuous diffusion. It can run for up to 5 hours. It also has a somewhat new added feature, that of timed shut-off.
- The area it can cover is an average bedroom of 20 sq. meters (215 sq. feet).
- The diameter of the Home diffuser is 13.5 x 17 cm (5.31 x 6.69 inches).
- The weight of this aroma device is 0.86 lbs. (390 grams).
- It may use about 60ml of water/hour, though this amount is adjustable. You can add up to 125 ml of water in its recipient.
- The noise level is less than 44 dB. Bird calls make 44 dB noise and 40 dB is usually the noise inside a library.
- The Young Living Home diffuser comes with its own adaptor.
- In a small room, it may also increase the humidity level.
- Because it uses water, this Young Living Home diffuser must be cleaned several times a week. The risk of mold growth is too big and could get you ill otherwise.
- Also, because of the water, the potency of the essential oils is a bit diluted.
- This type of diffusion may settle on the furniture. That is why the device should be set on some protection.
- Don’t rely on this Aromatherapy diffuser to increase humidity levels in your space. It was not built for this purpose. Humidifiers are a lot better at this task.
- Make sure you put it somewhere safe and out of reach of pets and children. In case it spills over, it might leak water into the motor housing.
- The seller recommends using distilled water. Normal tap water could wear down your device much faster.
Why I like it:
The Young Living rose shaped Home diffuser makes a fine piece of decor. It can be carried away easily and placed in small rooms like a yoga studio or office. If you like the design and features of this product, the YL Home diffuser could be a great option for you.
2) Young Living Dewdrop Diffuser
- Obviously, the diffuser looks like a tear or a dewdrop, which is what inspired them for this design.
- The Dewdrop diffuser uses the same ultrasonic technology. Water + aromatic oils dispersed by ultrasonic vibrations.
- Most aroma diffusers don’t come with replaceable ultrasonic plates. This Young Living diffuser does, which is more than great. If by any chance, it breaks or gets stuck, you can replace it easily.
- It also has ambient light that can be turned off, just like the Home diffuser.
- How long does the Dewdrop diffuser run? It can run for up to 4 continuous hours and it shuts down on its own when it’s out of the water. It’s a simple, single-mode operation device.
- The device can cover an area of about 30 sq. meters (323 sq. feet). This would be the size of a medium room.
- The Dewdrop diffuser measures 13.5 x 13.5 x 19 cm (5.31 x 5.31 x 7.48 inches).
- It weighs about 0.97 lbs. (440 grams).
- It consumes about 30 ml of water per hour and makes the same noise as the Home diffuser (44 dB).
- It works just well with regular tap water.
- Most of the reviews for Young Living’s Dewdrop diffuser are positive and satisfactory.
- Unfortunately, diffusing essential oils for more than 30 minutes can be dangerous. If you want it more often, you can do so every couple of hours or more. The oils can saturate the air and cause nausea and/or headaches. This Young Living Dewdrop diffuser must be shut down manually.
- The Dewdrop diffuser does not come with essential oils.
- You’ll have to clean it a few times a week to avoid mold growth.
- Also, you’ll need to refill the water recipient more often.
Why I like it:
Of course, the first impression is a very good one. The teardrop/dewdrop shape of the device is very lovely. It can be put anywhere you like because it looks nice on furniture. You can also find some spare parts, should the device stop working. All these things make it easier to decide whether the Young Living Dewdrop diffuser is right for you or not.
3) Young Living AromaLux Diffuser
- AromaLux is the best Young Living diffuser. Why? Simply because it uses the latest diffusion technology: atomizing. This technology uses pure essential oils, without heat or water. It is very effective at dispersing the oils through a cool mist of active molecules. This new Young Living diffuser is among the most advanced diffusers.
- It runs with 5ml or 15ml oil bottles. They go inside the device, and then the air pressure will push only oil vapors out.
- It has a lot of power, even though it looks so small. AromaLux can cover areas of about 65 sq. meters (700 sq. feet).
- Young Living’s AromaLux can run for 10 continuous hours. Not to worry though, as it has some nice customizable interval settings. The diffusion run timer can be set for 1 – 20 minutes. This device allows you to also pause the diffusion for 1 – 20 minutes.
- AromaLux has 5 different LED color light settings.
- It’s dimensions are 13 x 13 x 14.7 cm (5.11 x 5.11 x 5.78 inches).
- It weighs 0.76 lbs (345 grams).
- The noise of the AromaLux diffuser is somewhere around 54 dB. This means that it may sound like a large electrical transformer situated at 100 feet.
- Young Living states that their AromaLux consumes about 1.5 ml of essential oil per hour. However, this can be adjusted and controlled.
- The oil molecules are pure and can linger in the air for a very long time. Thus, the therapeutic benefits of the oils are intact and powerful.
- AromaLux doesn’t need regular cleaning. You can just replace the oil bottle when it’s out and wipe away the residues, 2 – 3 times a month.
- For some people, the noise the AromaLux makes may be too loud. However, since it’s so powerful, the device can be kept in a large room, much farther than you are. It also appears that there’s an option of turning off the motor sound.
- Not for bedrooms, offices, yoga studios and other smaller places.
- Generally, it is more expensive than ultrasonic diffusers.
- It consumes more essential oil than other types of diffusers.
Why I like it:
I like the Young Living AromaLux diffuser because it uses pure essences. It’s also small and weighs very little, which makes it easy to carry around. It comes with a power adaptor and it preserves the therapeutic effects of the oils intact. The atomizing technology is the best at this moment.
4) Young Living Rainstone Diffuser
- The Rainstone is another very eye-pleasing aroma diffuser. It was handmade by ceramic artisans and it includes a remote control. With it, you can control the diffusion time: 1, 2, 3, 6 or 8 continuous hours. It does have an automatic shut-off timer though.
- The device uses ultrasonic technology, which means water + oils.
- Rainstone comes with soft LED light settings and negative ionizer settings.
- It’s best suited for medium-sized rooms of 30 sq. meters (323 sq. feet).
- The water capacity is 200 ml (give or take 10 ml). It uses 21 ml of water per hour. This amount can add to the moisture of a room.
- The Young Living Rainstone diffuser measures 12.8 x 12.8 x 17 cm (5 x 5 x 6.69 inches).
- It weighs about 4.48 lbs. (2.2 kg).
- The noise it makes is less than 44 dB (bird calls or library).
- If the remote control breaks, you can buy it separately.
- Since it uses water, the Rainstone diffuser needs regular cleaning. It’s because of the mold growth risk.
- The therapeutic effects of the oils are slightly diluted because of the water.
- It’s not impossible to find oily residues on the furniture. Make sure you set it on some protection.
- The oils won’t linger for too long in the atmosphere. The intensity of the smell is not given by the diffuser, but by the quality and type of essence. Top notes like citruses don’t stay on for too long.
- The remote control doesn’t light up.
Why I like it:
With its color and design, the Rainstone diffuser can be placed almost anywhere, from homes to offices. These Young Living Rainstone diffuser reviews are mostly positive. People are excited about their Rainstone diffusers.
5) Young Living Aria Ultrasonic Diffuser
- Aria is an ultrasonic diffuser that uses water and essential oils. This diffuser has a unique and beautiful shape and aspect. It has a wooden base and glass cover that it can easily be removed.
- Aria diffuser comes with a remote control also. This time, you can select some really nice built-in sounds and/or the LED color you like. Aria has built-in speakers that allow you to plug your own music device. Thus, you can listen to whatever relaxes you.
- How long can you run your Young Living Aria diffuser? Aria runs for up to 3 hours. The option of 1 hour is also available. Of course, Aria comes with automatic shut-off too.
- Aria diffuser covers 40 sq. meters (430 sq. feet), the size of a medium room.
- The water recipient holds 260 ml and it uses 42 ml of water per hour.
- The noise level is less than 44 dB (bird calls or library hum).
- It measures 21.5 x 15.5 cm (8.46 x 6.10 inches). Aria weighs 5 lbs. (2.3 kg).
- Most Young Living Aria diffuser reviews I’ve seen were positive. Over 74% of users were really excited and happy with their purchase.
- As you’ve probably noticed, Aria ultrasonic is very heavy. This means it’s harder to move around and should be kept put in a designated place.
- The water recipient is plastic, which is easy to clean but can wear off in time. Citrus essential oils can slowly dissolve it.
- It needs constant cleaning and drying to keep it running for a long time.
- The music is not loud at all, mainly because the aim is to relax you.
- The therapeutic effects and potency of the oils are diminished because of the water.
Why I like it:
Because of its unique and good-looking aspect, Aria ultrasonic diffuser makes a great decor piece. It can also impress Aromatherapy fans, should they receive it as a gift. The built-in music makes the Young Living Aria ultrasonic diffuser perfect for meditation. Thus, it can be used in yoga studios, SPAs or baths.
6) Young Living Bamboo Diffuser
- We’re getting closer to the end of my Young Living diffuser reviews. Until then, we have a new lovely looking aroma diffuser. The design inspiration for this device comes from bamboo wood.
- The Bamboo diffuser uses ultrasonic technology.
- It is very quiet (less than 44 dB, just like the majority of Young Living diffusers).
- It also comes with LED lights that can be controlled.
- It runs for up to 4 continuous hours. You can choose between 4 hours and 1 hour.
- The Bamboo diffuser can hold about 120 ml of water and uses about 70 ml per hour.
- It weighs 2 lbs. (910 grams) and measures 12.5 x 7.5 x 25 cm (4.92 x 2.95 x 9.84 inches).
- The bamboo ultrasonic diffuser can cover an area of about 40 sq. meters (323 sq. feet).
- It would not be a complete review of the Young Living Bamboo diffuser without cons. The first thing against it is that it needs constant cleaning and drying. There is a high risk of mold growth.
- The benefits and potency of the Bamboo diffuser are weakened by the presence of water.
- The oil molecules don’t linger for long and can set on furniture.
Why I like it:
As far as ultrasonic diffusers go, the Young Living Bamboo diffuser looks really nice. It can be used for small rooms like an office, bedroom, bathroom, etc. It can also make a great gift for Aromatherapy users, especially beginners.
7) Young Living USB Orb Diffuser
- Are you still wondering which is the best Young Living diffuser? Well, the USB Orb diffuser might be it. It is a portable type of diffuser that can fit into your car’s cup holder.
- The Orb is also spill-proof and works on USB power.
- It can work intermittently or continuously for up to 4 ½ hours.
- USB diffusers use ultrasonic technology (water + oils). The Orb, however, uses wicks to soak in essential oils.
- Young Living USB Orb diffuser comes with automatic shut-off settings and ambient lights.
- The Orb’s dimensions are 9 x 10.5 cm (3.54 x 4.13 inches). It weighs about 0.45 lbs. (200 grams).
- It uses 50 ml of water per hour. For small spaces, this amount of water vapor can increase the level of humidity. The total capacity of water is 160 ml.
- The noise level is just 23 dB. This noise level is the same as a whisper or rustling leaves.
- The wicks can be replaced.
- You can use your Orb diffuser for spaces of about 4.5 sq. meters (50 sq. feet).
- Thick essential oils or absolutes can clog the wicks.
- It may become messy, especially in a moving car.
- The USB Orb diffuser needs constant cleaning and drying. Some people complained about having to clean it before or after each use.
- The diffusion power is small.
Why I like it:
This Young Living USB Orb diffuser is great to use in the car. It also works in a child’s room, a small office, etc. It goes into the USB port and starts diffusing the oils instantly. It can make a great travel companion. Just make sure you use uplifting essential oils to avoid drowsiness behind the wheel.
8) Young Living Car Diffuser (USB)
- The USB diffuser is among the newest devices from Young Living. It’s very easy to use, you only need a USB port and an essential oil of your choice. Thus, you can use it as car diffuser or work diffuser, plugged into your laptop.
- It’s very silent and compact.
- It does not use water. It comes with a small vial where you put your essence. This is a 1 ml refill bottle.
- The USB diffuser runs on interval settings of 10, 30 or 60 seconds. It can run for up to 20 hours.
- This device can cover about 14 sq. meters (150 sq. feet).
- It measures 8.5 x 2 x 1.5 cm (pocket size, regular USB).
- The aroma device weighs 0.5 Oz and can use about .33 ml essential oil per hour.
- The power of a USB aroma diffuser is very low. It can literally be used only in very small places like a car. Connecting it to a laptop ensures that the scent will linger only under your nose, for a longer time.
- Because of its size, it’s pretty easy to spill it over or even break it.
Why I like it:
This small Young Living USB car diffuser is great for traveling, as well as for being gifted away. It can work just great on your laptop or car USB port. It’s small and silent and it can run with almost any essential oil.
If these Young Living Aromatherapy diffusers caught your attention, you may continue learning about:
- How Does an Essential Oil Diffuser Work? What You Need to Know
- Best Essential Oil Diffusers for a Large Room! Pros, Cons and Recipes
- How to Use Essential Oils in a Diffuser (A Beginner’s Guide and FAQ)
- What Essential Oils Diffuser Jewelry to Pick and Why (plus Blends)
How to Use Your Young Living Aromatherapy Diffusers
Hopefully, my Young Living diffuser reviews have helped you make a decision. If that’s so, here’re some things about their use.
Depending on the type of diffuser, the oils you’ll use will be different:
- Ultrasonic diffusers – Add 8 – 10 drops of essential oil into the water recipient.
- Nebulizer/atomizer – use pure essential oils as per the suggestions of the manufacturer. It can work with as little as 10 drops, or with 1 ml of the essence.
Diffusions should not last more than 20 – 30 minutes. If you want to smell the oils all day long, you should repeat every 2 hours or more.
Aromatic oils can saturate the air and cause nausea and headaches. Studies also show that continuous, 60+ minute inhalations have the opposite effects.
If you’re inhaling a relaxing essence, after an hour it can actually make you agitated and/or excited. They can also raise blood pressure, among others.
This is why you should not sleep with the diffuser on. Always keep your home/room well-ventilated to avoid oil build-up in the air.
Is it safe to diffuse essential oils around pets? There were quite a few cases where cats especially, have died or became sick because of Aromatherapy. There is much to say about this topic, but the main idea is that diffusion can be safe around pets too.
Cats are more sensitive to some essential oils. Small amounts of aromatic oils used occasionally are not a problem for pets. It becomes a problem when you diffuse oils daily and in improper conditions. Read more about it here.
Essential Oil Recipes for Diffusers
In my opinion, the most fun part of Aromatherapy is the recipes. I love to mix and match scents and benefits, and then just enjoy my work.
Aromatherapy recipes are easy to make, especially when they’re for diffusers. Here are a few inspirational recipes to try with your new Young Living Aroma diffuser.
Fresh and Uplifting Diffuser Recipe
- Bergamot essential oil: 10 drops
- Juniper berry essential oil: 5 drops
- Sweet Orange essential oil: 10 drops
- Green mandarin essential oil: 10 drops
Keep this mix of oils in a dark glass bottle and use a few drops, as recommended.
Headaches and Migraines Relief Diffuser Recipe
- Lemon essential oil: 5 drops
- Lavender essential oil: 5 drops
Breathe Easy Diffuser Recipe
- Eucalyptus essential oil: 4 drops
- Peppermint essential oil: 4 drops
- Thyme essential oil: 2 drops
Diffuse for 20 – 30 minutes, every 2 hours (if necessary). Keep the room well ventilated while diffusing. Whatever you do, don’t fall asleep with the diffuser on or let it run continuously for many hours (with oils!). That can give you headaches or nausea.
We’re done with individual Young Living diffuser reviews. But it would not be a complete review without a few comparisons. Putting things into perspective is another useful tip to help you make a good decision.
Young Living Diffuser Comparisons
Young Living has many diffusers for sale. They’re all different so they can cater to the majority’s needs and wishes. As it is, there’s almost certainly one that caught your eye, isn’t it? Well, if there’s still a shadow of a doubt, maybe a bit of a comparison will be more useful.
Let’s Take the Young Living Home Diffuser vs. the Dewdrop Diffuser.
Each device looks different and it is unique in its own way. The Home diffuser is rose-shaped, while the Dewdrop is dewdrop or teardrop-shaped.
Both use the same diffusion technology. They’re ultrasonic diffusers that need water to help disperse the oil molecules. Ultrasonics are especially good for beginners in Aromatherapy, to relieve stress.
They diffuse and dilute the power and therapeutic effects of the aromatic oils, so as to make it safer. This thing, however, attracts a few inconveniences too.
With water, there’s a very high risk of mold growth. Mold grows in wet environments and water of course, in as fast as 24 – 48 hours. To avoid inhaling mold spores and get sick, you have to wash the diffusers every other day. Or at least before each diffusion.
The good part is that they clean very easy. A bit of warm water with vinegar and a soft cloth are enough to do the job.
Dewdrop diffuser vs. Home diffuser – The first covers a medium-sized room, while the second covers only smaller rooms. They both make the same noise level (less than 44 dB), which is not much.
Considering the fact that they’re not for continuous use, that kind of noise is barely perceptible.
Neither is too heavy and can be carried around very easily. Both the Dewdrop and the Home diffuser make pleasant decor pieces and gift ideas. They can also add a bit of moisture to the environment, but you should not rely on them for that. It’s best to use a humidifier during the cold season.
Young Living Diffusers vs. Other Brands
The truth is that there is no real difference between Young Living’s Aroma diffusers and other brands. It’s simply a matter of preference. Other Aromatherapy diffusers are devices that use the same technology as Young Living diffusers.
The only difference would be the design. YL devices may have designs that are harder to find elsewhere. But so do other brands.
Like I said, when it comes to comparing Young Living with other diffuser brands, it all comes down to your personal preferences.
There’s nothing more enjoyable in Aromatherapy than to diffuse essential oils. If you’re also a fan of Young Living products, this buying guide is for you.
With these Young Living diffuser reviews, I hope I was able to help you find the best product for you and your needs. If you have questions, you know where to find me. In fact, I encourage you to tell me what you’re thinking about your new YL aroma diffuser.