Baby skin is very sensitive, everybody knows that. It’s on a continuous development and because of that, the skin can be very dry or prone to rashes and irritation. Babies need special care and attention. Soothing their discomfort is part of a parent’s duty. This article is about the most helpful best natural baby lotion reviews.
They can help protect and repair your baby’s skin, while softening and nourishing it. Keep reading to find out about:
- The importance of a chemical free baby lotion. They can be natural or organic, or both. I’ll explain a bit about these two popular terms before the reviews.
- In-depth reviews on 5 of the best organic or natural baby lotions, with pros and cons. Hopefully, they will help you find the best product for your baby. They can be for your own personal benefit too, why not!?
- A few tips to help preventing serious baby skin problems.
What is the Best Natural Baby Lotion and Why? Pros and Cons
Why do babies need moisturizing lotions in the first place? How safe are the ones you find available for their sensitive skin? There are many questions when it comes to baby care. They need a lot of special care and attention. And the explanation for the need of a chemical free baby lotion lies in their skin.
Baby skin, even though fully competent, continues to develop its basic functions in the first year of life. This process makes the baby skin more prone to irritation and dryness.
Almost anything external can affect a baby’s skin. From cold and wind to too much heat and harsh skin care emollients.
The main purpose of a good, high quality baby lotion is to not disrupt the skin’s protective barrier. Baby lotions, as opposed to baby creams or ointments, absorb fast. They help the skin regenerate and protect it from aggressive, external factors.
The most common skin problems in babies are:
- Baby acne.
- Diaper rash.
- Cradle cap (seborrheic dermatitis).
- Contact dermatitis.
- Heat rash.
Many of them can be prevented by taking a few good measures. Diaper rashes for instance, can be prevented by simply keeping the baby dry and well-moisturized.
Organic baby lotions are also natural, by definition. Natural lotions may also contain a few synthetic binders, fillers, preservatives, etc. But most of them are naturally-derived and written on the label.
That’s why, as a parent, you have to read these labels to make sure there are no harmful toxins in them. You must beware, specifically of:
- Synthetic fragrances and perfume.
- Petroleum-derived ingredients.
- Mineral oil.
When you choose the best natural baby lotion, you must take into account:
- Your baby’s skin type
- And the ingredients of the product.
I’ve broken down all the important and necessary info on some of the best chemical-free baby lotions. You’ll find their benefits as well as their cons to help you make the best informed decision.
1) Puracy Organic Baby Lotion
A second generation formula, Puracy will appeal to your little one’s senses.
- The product has a natural scent of Lavender and Pink Grapefruit. Two gentle fragrances that are generally accepted by babies easily.
- The bottle is 12 fl. Oz (355 ml), equipped with a pump top.
- This is among the safest baby lotion products as it was developed by doctors. Thus, we could put it among the best organic and natural baby lotions. It is 99.95% natural, with more than 70% certified organic plant-based ingredients.
- Puracy is dedicated to all skin types. It softens the skin and makes it smoother and more comfortable after the first use.
- This organic baby lotion doesn’t leave a greasy residue on your baby’s skin.
- The lotion is USA made and cruelty free. It is also vegan, gluten-free and non-toxic. It is also biodegradable.
- Puracy natural baby lotion contains vitamin E, B5 and Shea butter and Aloe Vera. There are also Jojoba and Sunflower oils in its composition. You’ll also find Coconut, vegetable glycerin and vitamin C. Lavender and Pink Grapefruit essential oils give the product its scent.
- The shipping weight of the product is 14.1 ounces (400 grams).
- The lotion’s shelf life is 2 years from the date of purchase (as per the company’s Co-Founder).
- On Fakespot, the reviews of this product are totally trustworthy. There are over 80% high quality reviews.
- Essential oils may cause skin reactions and irritate. The ones used in Puracy are usually well-tolerated and safe. However, you should still test the lotion before use.
- The aroma of Lavender is not something common, so some might find it unpleasant. Ironically enough though, Lavender essential oil is very popular in baby care and not only.
- Avoid all contact with the eyes, nose and mouth as the oils can irritate them.
- The risk for allergic reactions is also higher because of the nutty oils (Coconut and Jojoba). You can clear this right away with a simple skin patch test.
Why I like it:
This is among the best natural baby lotion products as it can be used on babies and children of all ages. It is also a great organic baby lotion for dry skin. Being so accessible, I can understand why so many people have had good results with it.
2) Angel Baby Lotion with Organic Calendula
A gentle baby moisturizer for your little angel.
- Angel Baby Lotion is one of the safest baby lotions. It is gentle and recommended for sensitive baby skin types.
- It has a beautiful Vanilla and Orange aroma.
- The ingredients are all organic-derived. As one of the best organic & natural baby lotions, it contains rooibos (red tea) and calendula extracts. They are very soothing. Among its main ingredients, there is also Olive oil, Aloe Vera, Shea butter and oat proteins. Sweet Orange essential oil and Vanilla extract give its scent.
- The product is toxin-free. There are no synthetic fragrances, phthalates or parabens in this lotion. You’ll also find no dyes, petroleum-derived ingredients or mineral oil.
- It is the first US personal care product certified NSF/ANSI 305 Standard.
- This baby lotion was formulated by a certified herbalist and nurse.
- Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- The pump bottle is 8 fl. Oz (240ml).
- Fakespot reveals over 90% high quality reviews. This means the product is trustworthy.
- The lotion can be used on dry, itchy, irritated skin and baby bottoms.
- The shipping weight of the product is 8.8 ounces (250 grams)
- This natural, organic baby lotion should expire in 18 months, after you open the bottle.
- No soy-derived products or coconut, for the more allergic
- Some reported that the pump clogs easily.
- To avoid skin reactions to some of the organic ingredients, perform a skin patch test before using it.
- The smell of the lotion may be too strong for some babies and/or adults.
- Avoid using this natural baby lotion around the eyes, nose and mouth of the baby. Avoid using it on the little one’s face until you’re certain his/her body accepts the lotion.
Why I like it:
As one of the best natural baby lotion products, it can be used for babies of all ages. It is usually very gentle and smells really nice. The Angel Baby lotion can of course, be used by adults too.
3) Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream for Dry Skin with Eczema
This natural baby lotion is recommended by dermatologists, for all baby skin types with eczema.
- The product comes in a 5, 7.3 and 12 ounce (148, 216, 355 ml) recipients.
- The formula has been specifically created to be gentle for use on baby eczema.
- It contains soothing colloidal oatmeal cream and ceramide.
- The product is clinically shown to relieve itching and eczema irritation. It can also prevent extra-dry skin.
- Aveeno Baby Lotion for Eczema is fragrance-free and steroid-free.
- The shipping weight of the product is 5.6 ounces (159 grams)
- Fakespot rates the reviews of this baby product B: over 80% high quality reviews. This shows the product and its reviews to be trustworthy.
- The manufacturer warns about their product being used around the eyes. Seek medical attention if it gets into your baby’s eyes and the symptoms become worse by the hour.
- Do not apply on baby’s face unless you’ve made sure he/she tolerates it well.
- Keep the lotion out of children’s reach as there’s a high risk of being swallowed. Call the Poison Control center immediately, if that happens.
- The anti-eczema and rash is temporary. It is only effective on mild to moderate eczema.
- The Aveeno baby lotion contains Oat kernel oil and extract. It may cause allergic reactions in some babies or adults.
Why I like it:
The Aveeno natural baby lotion is good for babies and children of all ages. It is naturally nourishing and proven effective on sensitive baby skin types. It’s always a plus to know the product’s been tested by specialists.
4) Weleda Baby Calendula Body Lotion
The ingredients used by Weleda are all grown in biodynamic gardens. Weleda Baby has one of the best organic and natural baby lotions.
- This organic baby lotion is a gentle moisturizer for delicate baby skin.
- The product is made with 99% organic ingredients. They are water and organic-derived vegetable oils. These oils are Sesame and Sweet Almond, plus beeswax and Cocoa butter. It is also 100% certified natural.
- The scent of this lotion is given by the Calendula and Chamomile essential oils. There are also traces of citrus aromas.
- Dermatologically proven safe and friendly with the most sensitive skin types.
- The Weleda baby lotion absorbs quickly.
- The pump bottle is 6.7 Ounces (200 ml).
- Fakespot rates this product and its reviews A: over 90% high quality reviews. Most people who’ve used it, found it genuinely helpful.
- The shipping weight of the product is 8.5 ounces (241 grams).
- Large amounts of this natural baby lotion may leave oily residues. Apply moderate amounts to avoid such thing and let it soak fast. Your skin will only absorb as much as it needs, the rest will go to waste.
- Besides all the organic-derived ingredients, the lotion contains some synthetic fillers, preservatives, etc. This may cause irritation or rashes to some babies and adults. Better to test it on a small skin area before widespread use.
- Give the lotion a shake before use, as it contains water and it may separate.
Why I like it:
The company makes very good skin care products, and so the Weleda baby lotion makes no exception. This product could become your favorite, best baby lotion. You can count on it to moisturize and protect your baby’s delicate skin.
5) Cetaphil Baby Moisturizing Oil with Organic Calendula, Sweet Almond Oil & Sunflower Oil
Cetaphil is another natural baby lotion. It contains nourishing vegetable oils for a soft, smooth baby skin.
- The product may be bought as one single product or a pack of two products.
- The bottle holds 13.5 ounces (3.99 ml).
- It does not contain parabens, dyes or mineral oil. The lotion is also hypoallergenic.
- Cetaphil Baby lotion is dermatologically tested. It is also formulated specifically for sensitive baby skin.
- The smooth and soft skin is given by ingredients like Calendula extract, Sunflower and Sweet Almond oil.
- The fragrance of Cetaphil natural baby lotion is natural too.
- A few people reported a bad smell. The manufacturer only says “fragrance” on the ingredients list. Unfortunately, I can’t tell whether it’s a pleasant one or not.
- The bottle is not pump, which may make its use a bit messy.
- Do not confuse the product with baby oil, even though it contains vegetable oils. It is a lotion made with specific binders and fillers. Sadly, they’re not all organically-derived. This means the product may cause allergic skin reactions. Test it on a small skin area before widespread use.
Why I like it:
This baby lotion is the best when used during bath or bed-time rituals. It moisturizes the delicate skin of the baby and it’s safe to use for dry skin too.
Please keep in mind that you should test all products on small skin areas to avoid unnecessary trouble. It is also best to use small to moderate amounts of all your products to avoid skin saturation. That’ll give the skin that glowing, oily appearance.
The best natural baby lotion is the one your baby tolerates the best. It may be necessary to try a few until you get the right one.
Tips to Prevent Baby Skin Problems
Your baby’s skin is thin and fragile and not fully developed, especially in the first year of life. In time, its needs may change, and so you need good moisturizers for a comfortable skin.
Picking the best organic & natural baby lotion may be a daunting task. But you can do a few things to minimize dryness or prevent other baby skin problems:
- Maintain the air humidity at the right level, especially during the cold season. That will prevent skin from drying up and sinuses from blocking.
- Add a carrier oil to your baby’s bath water to protect his skin while playing. Apply an organic baby lotion after each bath.
- Also, try to bathe the baby less, especially when the air inside the house is too dry. Or, when his/her skin is extra-dry.
- Soap your baby with a gentle, natural or organic cleanser/soap right before taking him/her out of the water.
- You can also massage the skin of your baby with a good moisturizer before bath. Caution is needed, as the baby may be slippery.
Baby skin is sensitive and needs a lot of careful research to find the right products. Because of that, I have done most of the work for you and chosen some of the best natural baby lotion products. Some of them are also organic baby lotions. Their use and success depend on how well the baby will tolerate the product.
What is your favorite baby moisturizer? Have you ever used pure carrier oil on him/her?