Erectile dysfunction can weigh heavily on the psyche and self-confidence of a man. Sexual problems are not rare but fortunately, there are natural remedies that can be of help. Among the best ones we have essential oils for erectile dysfunction. They can help with various causes.
In this article, I’m going to talk about:
- A short intro on erectile dysfunction and impotence.
- Why use essential oils for male impotence? Details about what makes them useful in this type of health and social concern.
- The best oils to use for erectile dysfunction, with pros and cons. I will also add links to the studies that support their effects in this matter.
- How to use these aromatic oils for the best results.
- Aromatherapy for sex – Essential oil recipes that can arouse sexual desire.
- Tips that could prevent erectile dysfunction and lower its occurrence.
Best Essential Oils for Impotence, How to Use Them plus Recipes
According to the medical dictionary, erectile dysfunction (ED) is also known as impotence. It refers to the inability to achieve or maintain an erection long enough to engage in sexual intercourse. Sexual dysfunction is a more general term that contains ED and other related problems.
ED is therefore the main reason for male impotence. Unfortunately, it affects an enormous number of men every year.
Impotence or erectile dysfunction is not considered a problem when it happens occasionally. It does not mean the absence of sexual desire either. Only when more than 3 months pass and in that time it happens regularly can it be considered a concern.
ED represents a medical, as well as a social symptom. It has a huge impact on the self-esteem and well-being of a man. Left unaddressed, ED can affect the quality of life and even the man’s health.
From a religious and moral point of view, the issue of procreation was very important, back in the days. When modern medicine didn’t exist, plants were the main treatment for any sexual dysfunction.
They were used to stimulate desire, treat infertility and enhance male performance among others. Today we have essential oils as a complementary therapy.
Why Use Essential Oils for Erectile Dysfunction?
Many people, including some doctors, see Aromatherapy as a helpful complementary therapy. There are enough studies that show us they work on an emotional and physical plan. There aren’t however, enough studies on this particular topic.
Even so, taken individually, some essential oils for erectile dysfunction have shown a great deal of promise in animals.
Natural remedies for sexual dysfunction are among the main treatment options. Other options include lifestyle changes and medication or surgery.
Let’s see how essential oils can help with male impotence. It’s important to know how erections happen to understand what your body goes through.
Erections are a complex set of chain reactions, controlled by the PSNS. PSNS stands for parasympathetic nervous system.
It is one of the 3 divisions of the autonomic nervous system. The PSNS is the opposite of the fight-or-flight nervous system (sympathetic).
Thus, PSNS slows down other functions that require a lot of energy. It focuses on relaxing muscles and increasing gland and hormonal activity. In other words, an erection is possible when the muscles in the penis relax. That allows for the blood flow to concentrate in it and maintain it erect.
This relaxation is possible because the body starts producing nitric oxide (NO). One of the most common causes of ED is related to emotional responses. Stress anxiety and/or depression can cause a temporary or a long-term erectile dysfunction.
The use of essential oils for male impotence is a good choice because of several reasons:
- Emotionally, they can help a person relax, unwind and sleep better.
- They can also boost energy levels and the immune system.
- Aromatherapy smells very nice. Thus, essential oils for erectile dysfunction can create the proper romantic atmosphere.
- Physically, aromatic oils can increase and improve the blood flow to the penis.
- They can also stimulate hormonal activity (testosterone).
- Essential oils can help lowering cholesterol levels. Cholesterol is known to cause ED and cardio-vascular problems.
- They can be mixed in a blend and used on a daily basis without side effects. Considering you’re not suffering from other diseases and you talk to your doctor first. Aromatic oils must be used cautiously and in a moderate dosage all the time.
Essential oils should never be used as the sole treatment for serious erectile dysfunction problems. They should be used mostly for mild or occasional sexual dysfunction. That being said, let’s see which oils are the best for an erectile dysfunction and why.
1) Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
In the botanical world, true cinnamon is known as Cinnamomum zeylanicum. It is also known as Cinnamomum verum. Cinnamon is a highly prized and popular spice and essential oil. It has many beneficial effects on the human health and beauty. But we’re more interested in what it can do for an erectile dysfunction.
- Studies show that Cinnamon bark oil can protect the male reproductive system in rats.
- It stimulates and increases the production of testosterone. It also improves the quantity and quality of semen.
- The oil has toning and stimulating effects on the mind and nervous system.
- It improves the mood and relieves stress too.
- Cinnamon is also considered a great aphrodisiac. This means Cinnamon oil can increase sexual desire (libido).
- Cinnamon bark essential oil should not be used if there are digestive problems. It can irritate or cause burning sensations.
- Avoid using this essential oil for erectile dysfunction for more than 7 days.
- It is also not recommended to people suffering from liver insufficiency.
- Make sure you read the botanical (Latin) name of the oil before buying! There are other types of Cinnamon oils (Cassia or Chinese cinnamon and cinnamon leaf). They are all different oils with different benefits and effects.
Why I like it:
The sugary and warm, yet spicy fragrance of Cinnamon makes it great for men’s use. It also blends well with citrus oils and awakens all sorts of sensations in a massage blend. Besides helping with ED, Cinnamon oil can also relax.
2) Ginger Essential Oil
Zingiber officinale is the Latin name of Ginger oil. It is one of the most popular aphrodisiacs and essential oils for sex and romance. Ginger was used as aphrodisiac by both men and women. In the Chinese medical history, ginger has a long tradition in this sense.
- Ginger essential oil can be used for male impotence. It can also be used to relieve sexual fatigue and difficulty in getting erections. It is recommended even in the case of frigidity and anorgasmy. The latter refers to the inability to experience an orgasm.
- The oil stimulates the body and senses.
- It also regulates sexual functions and increases libido by stimulating the nervous system.
- Studies found ginger extract to improve the quality and quantity of sperm. It can also protect its DNA.
- Ginger oil is not recommended to people that take anti-coagulant medications.
- It should not be used before undergoing surgery either.
Why I like it:
Ginger has a very specific fragrance. It’s spicy, which makes it one of men’s favorites. It’s important to like an oil’s aroma to be able to relax and get in the mood. Being stimulating, it can also help improve the blood flow in the penis, favoring erections.
3) Nutmeg Essential Oil
You can recognize the oil by its Latin name of Myristica fragrans. Nutmeg is a good oil to use for sexuality as it comes highly recommended. Studies and a long tradition/history recommend this essential oil for male impotence.
- Nutmeg is known to stimulate nerves. Thus, it is considered a nervous stimulant. This helps boost libido.
- Nutmeg is among the best essential oils for erectile dysfunction because it can improve blood circulation.
- In combination with Clove, Nutmeg oil has similar effects as Sildenafil citrate. This substance is used for male impotence. And so, the use of Nutmeg essential oil can significantly increase sexual performance.
- Nutmeg is a great stimulant for the brain as well. It uplifts the spirit and provides a soothing effect against pain.
- Nutmeg oil should not be used by people with seizures or asthma.
- The oil can be very toxic in high dosages. It can also cause addiction because of its narcotic effects.
- It can affect your sense of orientation (dizziness). As well as it can cause hyperactivity and fast breathing. Depending on various factors, Nutmeg oil can sedate too.
Why I like it:
Not surprising at all, this oil has a great scent as well. It is a spice after all. It is spicy and woody, but it also has a fresh touch to it. Men usually find the fragrance of Nutmeg essential oil very appealing and manly. It can relieve stress and improve digestion besides being useful in ED.
Other good essential oils for male impotence:
- Mountain savory
- Lemon Verbena
- Black Pepper
Ways to Use Essential Oils for Erectile Dysfunction
Essential oils are very concentrated plant essences. They’re extracted by steam distillation from roots, leaves, seeds, resins and bark. Even though they look harmless in their tiny bottles, they’re not.
One drop of Peppermint EO for example, is equal to about 20 cups of peppermint tea!
The best way to enjoy the benefits of essential oils for erectile dysfunction is by local massage, diffusion or a hot bath.
- A topical massage can be used as a treatment on a daily basis. Or it can be used sensually, while being with a partner.
Aromatherapy for sex is often used to increase libido and create a romantic atmosphere. Blend up to 25 drops of essential oils per Oz carrier oil and massage along the spine. Another good spot to massage is the lower back area.
Usually, 10 – 15 minutes should be enough to enter a relaxed state of mind. It is also enough for the oils to reach the blood and start working. Depending on the cause of the erectile dysfunction, manual stimulation might be needed.
- The diffusion of an essential oil should be done in a well-ventilated room, for no longer than 30 minutes. It can be repeated every 2 hours or more.
Inhalations that last more than 60 minutes can have the opposite effect of relaxation. They can instead raise the blood pressure and make you anxious. Once you stop the diffusion, the oils will continue diffusing but their power will slowly decrease.
Erectile dysfunction essential oils can make it easier for the parasympathetic nervous system to produce nitric oxide. These 2 things are important in getting an erection.
- Hot baths have a double effect. Essential oils are inhaled, which is the same as with the diffusion. But they can also reach the blood through skin, especially if they’re massaged in.
Mix up to 20 drops of essential oil into a cup of Himalayan, Sea or Epsom salt. Add it to a tub of hot water (37C – 98.6F) and stir it with your hand. That’ll melt the salt and spread the oil molecules evenly.
Erectile Dysfunction Recipes with Essential Oils
Now that you know a few more things about the use of essential oils for impotence, comes the best part. That is blending aromatic essences. If you suspect or know you have an erectile dysfunction, these oils can help.
Blend Recipe to Boost Libido
- Ginger essential oil: 10 drops
- Cinnamon essential oil: 10 drops
- Ylang-Ylang essential oil: 10 drops
- Black seed carrier oil: 1 Oz (30ml)
Mix all these oils together and shake the blend well before each use. Apply a moderate amount on your palms; rub them against each other to warm the blend. Massage this blend into the lower back area and along the spine. Repeat twice a day for a week.
ED Diffuser Recipe
- Nutmeg EO: 2 drops
- Ginger EO: 2 drops
- Sandalwood EO: 2 drops
Pour the oil drops in the water recipient of your diffuser. Let it diffuse for 20 – 30 minutes, in a well-ventilated room. You can repeat every 2 hours or more.
Concentrated Serum for Erectile Dysfunction
- Pine essential oil: 7 drops
- Cinnamon bark essential oil: 7 drops
- Lemon Verbena essential oil: 7 drops
- Black Pepper essential oil: 7 drops
- Watermelon seed oil: 1 Oz (30ml)
Mix all the aromatic oils with the carrier. Watermelon oil is full of antioxidants that protect the sperm DNA. All these essential oils are good for erectile dysfunction as they increase blood flow and relax. Apply mornings and evenings on the spine, lower back and kidney area.
Facts about Erectile Dysfunction and Tips to Improve It
There is quite a lot of literature on this subject, mostly because it affects so many men (and women). It has become a social as well as a medical condition. Sexual dysfunctions have a huge impact on the well-being and self-confidence of people.
While with age, a man starts to get used to the idea of a slowly decreasing sex life, younger men don’t. Because of that, today we have many studies and products available.
“Among the most commonly recognized conditions associated are high blood pressure, lipid problems (cholesterol, triglycerides), diabetes, and cigarette smoking. Endocrine disorders like low testosterone and thyroid problems also contribute to ED.” Source
If the cause of ED is not emotional/psychological, then it’s mostly related to circulation problems. There is always an underlying health problem for most sexual dysfunctions. New studies show a link between erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular problems.
Men with ED developed a coronary artery problem within 2 – 3 years, and a major event like stroke in 3 – 5 years. This is indeed disturbing news.
If you notice the lack of erection, including in the morning, for a period of over 3 months you should go to the doctor a.s.a.p.! Even sooner.
The causes of an erectile dysfunction can be any one or more of the following:
- Metabolic syndrome
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Alcohol excess
- Injuries or surgeries of the penis
- Treatments for prostate disorders
Tips to Improve ED Naturally
There is no better treatment than prevention! Even if it’s such a common problem in men, most erectile dysfunctions can be treated and the comfort restored. Most ED problems have a psychological nature, which makes an effective treatment possible.
Essential oils for erectile dysfunction are among the best natural remedies. Others include all sorts of root powders and extracts that have also proven effective. Natural remedies have a lot less side effects than medications. That is exactly what keeps them still in demand.
Besides using such remedies, you can also take some preventive measures. They are good lifestyle habits that can benefit your health majorly.
- Watch your fat intake and cholesterol levels. Lowering cholesterol will help prevent an erectile dysfunction. But at the same time, it will also prevent cardiovascular problems.
- Give your body all the necessary vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids it needs. Antioxidants play an important role in sexual performance. Just like a balanced diet does too.
- Remove all stressful factors from your life and diffuse oils daily to unwind after a hard day of work.
- Regular workout is also useful. It improves blood circulation, heart rhythm and metabolism. It can also lower the risks of a failed erection.
- Control the intake of alcohol and give up smoking. That should also decrease the chances of impotence.
- When using essential oils for erectile dysfunction, make sure they are 100% pure. Also, always mix them with carrier oils for topical applications.
- Do not use aromatic oils if suffering from other conditions without medical approval. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should talk to their doctor too.
Everybody likes remedies that work without side effects. Aromatherapy can be very helpful if treated with care and attention. The right dosage of essential oils can truly make a difference.
Please seek special medical guidance before considering taking them orally! There are a lot of factors to be considered when a dosage is established.
As for essential oils for erectile dysfunction, they’re mostly useful when the problem is psychological. Aroma oils can help with other causes such as a bad circulation. They can usually help with milder sexual dysfunctions. If the cause is much more complex, you should not postpone a visit to the doctor anymore.
Now that you know all of this, are you tempted to give essential oils a try? Have you ever used them to increase your libido? What do you think about natural remedies for ED?