Being related to rheumatism, fibromyalgia is bound to upset a person almost all the time. Aromatherapy is a preferred type of therapy that can help on the physical and the psychological plan. On a long term, the use of essential oils for fibromyalgia may prove really beneficial in coping with the condition.
In this article, you’ll be reading about:
- The leading symptoms and problems caused by fibromyalgia. With details about an essential oil for each. Plus a few other oil recommendations for complete synergies and blends.
- The best ways to use these essential oils to get relief from fibromyalgia (FM).
- Recipes and complementary treatment ideas to help you feel better on a daily basis.
- More interesting info on this condition and how Aromatherapy can help. Plus, tips to improve and soothe FM symptoms.
Best Essential Oils for Fibromyalgia and How to Relieve Its Main Symptoms
Millions of people worldwide, especially women after the age of 25, are being affected by fibromyalgia. Its symptoms are not only physical, but psychological also. Pain can lead to all sorts of anxiety and depression feelings, as well as social isolation.
Unfortunately, doctors don’t know what exactly causes fibromyalgia. Thus, there’s no cure for it. But the good news is that some alternative therapies like Aromatherapy can actually do a lot more good.
The use of essential oils for fibromyalgia relief can act on the nervous system and improve the psyche. They also have sedative, anti-inflammatory, and relaxing properties. All these properties act on the pain and inflammation within the body.
One of the general symptoms of fibromyalgia is pain all over the body. There are many tender points (18 in general) that are found around the neck, shoulders, hips, arms, and legs.
This can prevent the affected person from exercising and interacting with other people. It can also affect one’s sleep. Aside from all this physical discomfort, fibromyalgia can also cause a lot of depression and mood disturbances.
Next, I’ll take all the major symptoms of fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) and talk about them in a more particular way. For each symptom, I will also give you the pros and cons of the best essential oil to use to get the relief you need.
# Muscle Pain, Stiffness and Tenderness
Fibromyalgia pain must last longer than 3 months. Also, it must not be associated with other conditions. These other conditions might be arthritis, neuropathy and nerve damage, rheumatism, etc.
This pain should also be accompanied by a few other specific symptoms. They are sleep problems, general fatigue and mood disorders. All these symptoms need to be present for the affection to be considered fibromyalgia.
Of course, doctors have other means of diagnostic as well. One of them is referred to having 11 tender points out of 18. These must actually hurt when they’re pressed with a 4 kilos (8.81 pounds) pressure.
Naturopaths believe that fibromyalgia is often caused by an excess of acidity in the tissues of the body. The use of essential oils for fibromyalgia can help eliminate those acids by stimulating various functions.
Organs such as the intestines, kidneys, lungs, and skin play a key role in eliminating toxins and acids. There are certain essential oils that can stimulate the activity of all these organs.
The best aromatic oils for a good fibromyalgia relief must:
- Calm and soothe inflammation.
- Stimulate the blood circulation.
- Promote acidity and toxin drainage.
Here’s one of the best essential oils for fibromyalgia pain:
Wintergreen Essential Oil
Its botanical name is Gaultheria procumbens. It is a very watery liquid with a light yellow to a pinkish color. This essence is also very aromatic and warm, characteristic to methyl salicylate (aspirin).
- Its content of more than 99% methyl salicylate gives this oil pain relieving properties.
- It is also a very good anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic.
- Wintergreen stimulates the circulation, the liver and the kidneys.
- It is recommended in soothing pain caused by rheumatism, gout and arthritis. The oil can also deal with the pain caused by other inflammatory conditions besides FMS.
- Wintergreen oil warms up the skin if applied locally, which leads to pain relief and sedating effects.
- Wintergreen essential oil is also great in soothing menstrual pain.
- If you are allergic to aspirin, then this oil should not be used.
- If you’re already on medication, consult a medic before using Wintergreen.
- Do not take this oil internally without proper medical guidance.
- Make sure you use only the procumbens variety to relieve fibromyalgia pain.
Why I like it:
When you’re looking for a natural, aromatherapy relief from fibromyalgia, Wintergreen should be your first choice. It is a very powerful remedy though. It should be handled with care and used in low dosages (up to 20% mixed with a carrier oil).
Other good essential oils for fibromyalgia pain are:
- True Lavender ( angustifolia)
- Rosemary ct. (chemotype) Camphor
Plus, as carrier oils, the best for inflammation and pain are:
- Cayenne pepper infused oil
- Arnica oil
- St John’s Wort oil.
- CBD Hemp oil.
# General Fatigue
A rather subjective symptom, general fatigue makes a person act with:
- Less energy.
- Decreased physical strength.
- Lack of power and motivation to carry on with the usual activities.
- Difficulty in maintaining concentration and focus.
General fatigue may lead to a low quality of life, affecting the endurance of a person. The mood and the ability for self-care are also affected.
General fatigue is mostly caused by the lack of quality sleep. When asked about their symptoms, many people place it before pain. On a long term, general fatigue affects the social and personal life of the patient.
Stress is another big cause for this kind of fatigue and other FM symptoms.
Here’s one of the best essential oils for general fatigue caused by fibromyalgia:
Pine Essential Oil
Pinus sylvestris is a watery liquid, volatile essence, with a pale yellow color. Its fragrance is extremely pleasant. It’s fresh, resinous and sweet. It also warms up the skin where it is applied.
- Inflammation and pain cause the body to tap into its cortisol reserves. The stress hormone plays an important role in relieving pain. For a successful fibromyalgia pain relief experience, Pine oil has “cortisol-like” properties. It stimulates its production to face the pain better.
- Pine is a strong tonic for the body, boosting up the activity of all the organs that eliminate toxins and acids.
- It is also very good at opening up the breathing passageways and improving the circulation.
- It is very uplifting and it helps maintaining focus. Pine is great against anxiety feelings and depression.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties also help soothe tender points and muscles.
- It is not recommended to children under 6 years old and pregnant women in their first trimester.
- The oil can also cause mild allergic reactions or irritation. Always use it mixed with a carrier oil and test it before widespread use.
- Make sure you buy the right oil because there are other pine varieties too.
Why I like it:
Luckily, one of the best Aromatherapy oils for fibromyalgia has a very nice fragrance too. That makes it even nicer to use the oil of Pine in your natural remedy recipes.
Inhaling this oil will immediately put you in a better mood, sending you into a pine forest to relax. It sounds a bit poetic, but not far from the truth. When it comes with pain relieving properties too, the use of Pine essential oil for fibromyalgia will make a difference.
Other good essential oils for general fatigue due to fibromyalgia are:
- Litsea Cubeba
# Sleep Problems
These problems are chronic and usually constant. People with fibromyalgia suffer from insomnia or a feeling of not getting a restorative sleep. Others may wake up during the night with anxiety feelings and then have trouble getting back to sleep again.
Sleep problems come with muscle pain, muscle tenderness and general fatigue. They prevent the affected person from recovering. Sometimes, muscle pain is so intense that it can actually wake a person up.
The best essential oils for fibromyalgia and sleep problems need to have specific characteristics. The best are those that can deal with anxiety, depression, spasms, insomnia and the production of serotonin.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that communicates with the brain. Its low levels are often linked to depression and sleep problems.
One essential oil that deals with most of these problems is Valerian.
Valerian Essential Oil
This plant has many varieties that deal with sleep problems. They can be Valeriana officinalis (or wallichii; fauriei), and it has a medium viscosity. Its color may vary from yellow to green and brown, and its fragrance is a bit foul. The good news is that this oil is never recommended to be used alone in relaxing blends. Mixing it with other scents will mask the valerian.
- Valerian oil is great for anxiety and improving the mood.
- It also has pain relieving properties and a very sedating and calming effect.
- The oil can normalize the blood pressure and the heart beatings. It can also balance the metabolism.
- Negative emotions and stress can also be relieved with Valerian oil.
- It can also relieve headaches and migraines.
- The oil of Valerian should be used mostly in the evening. Large doses usually induce drowsiness.
- Do not use this oil for long periods of time or with other sleeping treatments. Better ask for medical guidance before committing to Valerian essential oil.
- It is not for children, pregnant or nursing women.
Why I like it:
Even though it doesn’t smell pleasant, it does have a very relaxing and sedating effect. Luckily, it can be mixed with other floral or citrus essential oils.
Plus, there’s no need to use more than a few drops and thus mask its natural odour. This is one of the best essential oils for fibromyalgia that deals with sleeping disorders.
Other good essential oils that can help with sleep problems are:
# Mood Disturbances
The lack of sleep, the pain and discomfort and the general fatigue caused by fibromyalgia lead to mood disturbances.
It suffices one night of insomnia and one day of sore muscles and a mute pain all over to start feeling cranky, moody and upset. When you have to deal with all the above symptoms on a regular basis, mood disturbances are in order.
The use of essential oils for fibromyalgia pain relief can also deal with the negative emotions. They can stimulate the neurotransmitters that go through the nose to the brain through the limbic system.
The brain then releases certain hormones that boost your mood, energy and focus. That is the main benefit of Aromatherapy. It acts fast through volatile molecules. Essential oils can be used in many different ways to enjoy their benefits.
Melissa Essential Oil
Melissa officinalis is one of the best essential oils that can deal with mood disorders. It is very watery with a light yellow color or no color at all. Its scent is very fresh, lemony and overall pleasant.
- Melissa oil has calming and sedating properties. That makes it able to regulate low blood pressure too.
- It is anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic, and also a great brain tonic.
- The oil stimulates the kidneys and the bile, making it easier for the body to eliminate acidity and toxins.
- Melissa can soothe seizures and spasms, nervous insomnia, hysteria and excessive emotionality.
- Melissa essential oil is not recommended to pregnant or nursing women.
- Melissa is also known as lemon balm, but it also has other relatives in the plant kingdom. Its botanical name is the only one unique to each plant species and variety. This name should always be written on the label or the product description of the oil.
Why I like it:
Using Melissa essential oil for the mood disorders induced by fibromyalgia is exactly what you need in this case. It’s simple to use in a diffuser, in a bath or in a massage lotion.
It smells great and it can soothe spasms and balance a low blood pressure. The fact that it can be useful for insect bites and digestive problems is just big plus.
Other good essential oils for mood disturbances caused by fibromyalgia syndrome:
- Ylang Ylang
- Lemon Verbena
The best way to improve fibromyalgia with essential oils is to go for the root cause of each symptom. Aromatherapy ingredients are very complex essences that deal with more than one symptom.
A blend that contains more than just one essential oil can be even more effective. Each molecule in their composition will do what it knows best once inside the body.
Best Ways to Use Essential Oils for Fibromyalgia Relief
Aromatic essences are very concentrated substances that need dilution. If applied pure, they can sensitize the skin or even irritate it, depending on their chemical composition.
Carriers like Jojoba, Argan, Sesame, Olive, Almond, etc. are vegetable oils that contain essential fatty acids. These oils are the perfect environment for the dispersion of essential oils (EOs) that evaporate or absorb really fast. That’s why, massage lotions are among the best application methods.
The usual recommendation for blends is somewhere between 3 and 12 drops of EO/ Oz carrier oil. This is a normal blend for face. Body blends may go up to 30 EO drops per Oz carrier oil.
For a fibromyalgia essential oil blend however, 20% of an essential oil in a carrier is enough. For example, in an Oz carrier oil, 20% essential oil would be 6 drops. This is the safest dosage for most people.
Aside from topical application (massages), essential oils for fibromyalgia can also be used in:
- Steam baths (1 drop)
- Hot baths (6 drops per cup of pink or Epsom salt)
- Diffusers (2 – 3 drops with 5 minute intense inhalations). This method speeds up the absorption of the oil molecules into the blood stream.
Essential Oil Recipes for Fibromyalgia
The informational part has its benefits and advantages, of course. But it’s the practical part that’s ultimately important. This section is about testing what you’ve just learned about essential oils and fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Pain Relief Blend with Essential Oils
- Wintergreen essential oil: 6 drops
- Juniper essential oil: 6 drops
- Pine essential oil: 6 drops
- Arnica oil or CBD Hemp oil: 1 Oz (30ml)
The best carrier oils for inflammation and pain are CBD Hemp, Arnica, ST John’s Wort infused oil, Olive and Cayenne pepper infused oil, in this order. Coconut is also good with a milder anti-inflammatory effect.
Mix all your ingredients well and shake the blend every time before use. Apply a few drops along the spine and the wrists. Massage it gently into the skin, and repeat 2 – 4 times a day, depending on the pain level.
Good Night Diffuser Blend Recipe for Fibromyalgia
- Valerian essential oil: 1 drop
- Lavender essential oil: 1 drops
- Mandarin essential oil: 2 drops
Add these oils into the water recipient of your diffuser. Diffuse this blend for 20 – 30 minutes in a well-ventilated room, half an hour before sleep. You can repeat every 2 hours if you want, but not less.
Fibromyalgia – General Fatigue Massage Blend Recipe
- Pine essential oil: 6 drops
- Peppermint essential oil: 4 drops
- Litsea Cubeba essential oil: 4 drops
- Sweet Almond oil: 1 Oz (30ml)
Mix all these oils together and shake the blend really well before use. Apply a moderate amount on the soles, temples, chest and spine. Or on any pulse point, 2 – 3 times a day, especially in the morning.
Mood Enhancer Fibromyalgia Blend Recipe for Diffuser
- Melissa essential oil: 3 drops
- Ylang-Ylang essential oil: 2 drops
- Macadamia oil: 9 ml
- Roll on bottle: 10ml
Fill the bottle almost to the brink with the carrier then add your essential oils. Shake it before each use and apply a small amount on pulse points.
This essential oil blend recipe for mood related problems caused by fibromyalgia will make you feel better in a matter of seconds. You can also rub a small amount between your palms, cup them and inhale deeply for a few minutes. Repeat as necessary.
Tips to Soothe Fibromyalgia Symptoms and Feel Better Naturally
Women are more affected by this health condition than men. Some refer to fibromyalgia as the “Superwoman” syndrome. I can see why since its symptoms and causes are related to a certain busy lifestyle. This busy lifestyle includes a lot of effort, little rest, irregular meals and so on.
One good thing to do would be to take it easier and care for your emotional state of mind. Also, don’t neglect your health and physical shape as these aspects may greatly improve your life quality.
The major symptom of fibromyalgia is pain accompanied by tenderness. The other symptoms are all interconnected and ironically, created by each other. It’s like a circle.
Aromatherapy is one of the best alternative and complementary therapies. It can help with getting fibromyalgia relief. In one study, it has been proven that Aromatherapy, together with massage therapy can indeed provide relief from most FM symptoms.
In another study, it is not very clear the effect of essential oils on fibromyalgia patients.
Ultimately, a more relaxed lifestyle, with a balanced diet, exercising and using Aromatherapy oils for fibromyalgia is one of the best alternative healing plans.
Tips for an Easier Life with Fibromyalgia
- Slow down a hectic schedule and rhythm, and try to relax more often.
- Enforce limits and stick to them on a personal, as well as on a professional level. They will help you prevent various problems caused by stress, tiredness and overworking.
- Take frequent baths with essential oils for fibromyalgia pain relief.
- Diffuse aromatic oils daily to soothe pain and breathe better.
- Complete your routine with a gentle massage with essential oils.
- Drink herbal teas with anise, lavender, Marjory, Melissa, linden and valerian. All these oils have a calming and sedating action, promoting a better sleep.
Fibromyalgia is not an easy health condition to treat. Nonetheless, it sometimes can be prevented if you take good care of yourself in due time. It can also be improved and easier to cope with once you know what to do.
Luckily, using essential oils for fibromyalgia can help you feel a lot better. They’re great for the body and mind.
Have you ever tried getting natural relief with the help of Aromatherapy? Did you have good results? Don’t forget that by sharing your experience, you could help someone in need.