Thanks to many natural aroma choices, Aromatherapy is a very pleasant therapy. Inhaling these natural oils has a long list of benefits, and their diffusion can be made in many ways. Finding the best essential oil diffuser for a large room involves deciding upon the technology you prefer.
You can enjoy the benefits of essential oils anywhere! That’s why sometimes choosing the right type of diffuser can be quite an effort. To help you choose faster and better, I will take you through the following topics:
- The available technologies for diffusing aromatherapy oils.
- The benefits of diffusing and inhaling essential oil molecules.
- Advantages and disadvantages for each type of Aromatherapy oil diffuser for large areas. Plus, pros and cons for some great diffuser suggestions I‘m going to make.
- The way these aromatic essences work on the brain and body.
- Questions to ask yourself before buying an aroma diffuser for a large room.
- Some tips and good practices! Enjoy the best experience while diffusing oils in large spaces.
- Plus details on scientific research about inhaling active oil molecules. I will tell you more about the results of some experiments that put the oils in a favorable light.
What is the Best Essential Oil Diffuser for a Large Room? Pros and Cons, plus Recipes
An Aromatherapy diffuser is an ideal solution to create atmosphere in a home. It is also great to use to prevent certain viral diseases (respiratory issues, the flu, etc.).
If you choose a good Aromatherapy diffuser for your large room, it will disperse the aromas really well. It will also maintain the properties and benefits of those essential oils you like.
There are 4 different types of diffusing technology. Depending on which one you choose, your large area essential oil diffuser can be, more or less:
The four technologies I was telling you about are used for the making of:
- Ultrasonic or humidifiers (or both).
- Diffusers that use heat.
- Ventilation-based diffusers.
These four types of diffusers disperse the essential oil molecules into the air. The best ones use heat below 104 F (40 C). This temperature is ideal to preserve as intact as possible the properties of the oils. Of course, those that use cold mist are higher quality.
Higher than 104 temperatures can break down and destroy some important molecules. There are other types of diffusers, like the candle oil burner, potpourri or a simple cotton pad.
Generally speaking, large rooms are between 16” or 20” and 18” or 30”. Larger areas need powerful diffusers. The best essential oil diffusers for a large room are nebulizers and ultrasonic diffusers. Nebulizers can cover surfaces of over 1000 sq. ft.
But why even diffuse essential oils in a large room, or any other room for that matter?
Aromatherapy is an interesting and pleasant type of complementary medicine. When you’re sick or down, the simple inhalation of an essential oil can make you feel better.
Depending on oil, it can lift your mood or boost your immune system and prevent infections.
Essential oils are very concentrated plant essences. One drop of Peppermint essential oil for instance, can be equal to 20 cups of peppermint tea! They don’t mix with water because they’re heavier.
Larger water molecules however, can bind to the oil molecules. While being diffused together, the oil may stay suspended into the air for a longer time than normal. That can cause the oils to evaporate and decrease the intensity of their benefits.
This is only the case for ultrasonic diffusers, though it’s not always a rule. It mostly depends on the essential oil used. Some have really heavy molecules and will drop from the air a lot faster than the water. But ironically, thick oils will also clog your ultrasonic diffuser and the nebulizer.
If you want to still diffuse thicker oils, you can use a candle oil burner. Just make sure the temperature of the water is not more than 104 F. Diffusing for 10 – 15 minutes will probably prevent it to boil at a higher temperature.
The benefits of diffusing Aromatherapy essential oils and inhaling them:
- Breathing in more purified air. Aromatic oils can kill hundreds of bacteria and viruses in the atmosphere. They can also charge the air with negative ions. Positive ions are harmful (pollution). When you diffuse these oils, they will eliminate the positive ions and replace them with the negative ions. That means a more pure air to breathe. For instance, at the top of a mountain the air is charged with 50.000 negative ions. In an office, the negative ions are about 20, the rest being filled with positive ions that pollute the air. Among others benefits, negative ions are said to support brain performance.
- Protection against viral infections and bacteria or mold and fungi. Many essential oils have high antibacterial and antiviral effects.
- Mood enhancement. They can stimulate certain brain signals and hormones. In turn, they boost the production of substances that relieve tension, relax and soothe anxiety.
- Clear bad odors, including cigarette smoke, mold, old, paint, etc.
- Promote better sleep.
- Promote a better breathing by easing nasal congestion.
Next, I will talk in more detail about the two best types of Aromatherapy diffusers for large rooms. General advantages and disadvantages will hopefully help you make an idea on what to expect. You can then take your pick from a few large room essential oil diffusers.
The Nebulizer – The Best Type of Essential Oil Diffuser for a Large Room
A nebulizer is an essential oil diffuser that uses high speed and air pressurization. The device breaks down the oil molecules into even tinier particles. When they leave the diffuser, the essential oils form a mist.
This oil diffuser for large areas contains a pump and a glass tube. The latter goes into a glass tank that will hold the essential oils. A second glass tube will then release the pressurized air into the oil tube, releasing the molecules into the air.
Below, you’ll find a list with some of the best nebulizers for a large room. Read through their pros and cons to make informed decisions. After seeing what some nebulizers can do, I will take you through their general advantages and disadvantages.
People need all the angles so they can decide better. You can also take your inspiration from the recipes you’ll find after the latter section.
1) Nebulizing Pure Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser
This nebulizer is among the best oil diffusers for large rooms. It is perfect for open spaces everywhere. It has a professional, well-crafted look that makes it a good decoration piece or a gift.
- This nebulizer is an improved model. It has been equipped with a touch sensor for easier turning off and on of the LED lights.
- It’s a good essential oil diffuser that covers 800 sq. ft. It releases the beneficial oil molecules very fast. The fragrance amount can be controlled.
- It has a complete cycle of 2 hours. During this time, the device will work for 2 minutes, rest for 1. This means it will work 40 minutes in an hour. It also has an auto shut-off option.
- It is adapted for all types of electrical voltage (with specific plug adaptors).
- The models vary but their height is 19-25 cm (7-10 inches) and the width is 9-15 cm (4-6 inches).
- The nebulizer has a beautiful design. It has hand-blown glass recipients and solid hardwood as support.
- This device makes a barely perceptible noise, especially in large spaces.
- It is destined for professional or personal use.
- Finally, it comes with a 1-year service and spare parts guarantee.
- It is more expensive and it requires a careful regular cleaning.
- The glass recipient is also fragile, so it must be held somewhere high, out of children’s reach (or pets!).
- It must be used only in large areas and open spaces because it’s powerful. The oils diffused with a nebulizer can irritate the eyes and nose, or cause headaches.
Why I like it:
The looks of the Nebulizing Pure Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser is just classy. Also, it doesn’t make much noise. It can barely be heard if used in a large area.
The touch sensor makes it very easy to turn off the lights if they get too annoying. Even though it’s expensive, it does make an impression on you. And the aroma of the oils is very powerful and concentrated.
2) The AENNON Aroma Nebulizing Oil Diffuser with Rechargeable Battery
This is a small and practical aromatherapy nebulizer. It works great for almost all types of spaces, but especially for larger ones. If you’re looking for a good large area diffuser or something more original, this little guy could be it.
- Aennon is portable.
- It does not have wires, so you’re not tied to a power outlet anymore.
- This means less mess or spills while trying to add the oils.
- It works on a rechargeable battery that can keep it going for up to 50 hours.
- The diffuser has a compact, yet pleasant design. It can easily be placed among other décor pieces.
- It is child-proof, pet-proof and safe from spills. This device immediately stops running when shaken or tilted. This option prevents leakage.
- The Aennon oil diffuser has a very low level of noise.
- It releases powerful aromas. Because of all these features, the Aennon is among the best Aromatherapy diffusers for large rooms.
- This diffuser is also easy to clean.
- You can control the intensity of the aroma from its settings.
- It can work for 30/60/90 seconds and rest 120 seconds.
- The timer can be set for 1, 2 or 4 hours, or on continuous mode (which I never recommend!).
- The Aennon nebulizer is a great essential oil diffuser for 1000 sq. ft. areas.
- Its size is 3.5 inches X 3.5 inches (85x85x85mm). It weighs 7 ounces.
- The nebulizer also comes with a 6-month guarantee.
- They send the nebulizing oil diffuser with an oil bottle and other e-Books. However, I suggest using an essential oil you’ve used before and trust.
- It consumes more oil than other nebulizers.
- It could also leak, depending on the place you’re keeping it or how tight you’re screwing in the glass bottle. The O ring must be properly seated to avoid leakage.
- The type of essential oil used may influence the intensity of the aroma you sense.
Why I like it:
The Aennon nebulizer is great for those who like to move it around, to feel a more or less intense fragrance. The cordless part is also a very nice touch that makes this little device useful in many situations. You can take it with you on holidays and still enjoy the benefits of your favorite essential oils.
3) Aromis Wood and Glass Aromatherapy Diffuser
This fine looking aromatherapy nebulizer is very useful as a large room diffuser. Do you like to keep your large rooms or office fresh and reviving? This aromatherapy diffuser can do just that and even more.
- The nebulizer is made of good quality glass and wood as support.
- The intensity of the fragrance this nebulizer emits can also be controlled.
- The Aromis nebulizing oil diffuser can cover an area of 30’X30’.
- It also has a new feature that refers to a timer function: the “10 on – 10 off”. The nebulizer shuts off on its own after 4 hours.
- It can last a very long time if it’s well maintained and carefully handled.
- The device comes with a 1-year warranty for service, replacement, labor and full parts.
- It is also easy to clean. Simply swish rubbing alcohol and then let it dry.
- Because of the fine glass material, the Aromis should not be kept around kids or pets.
- If you listen closely, you can also hear it hum.
Why I like it:
Aromis nebulizing oil diffuser can cover a pretty good area. This makes it great for living rooms or larger dining halls. The fragrance it releases can be felt even through open doors, though it can be a bit milder. The aspect of this nebulizer is professional and well-made. It can be used as a fine piece of décor or given as a gift.
Advantages of using a nebulizer:
- A nebulizer is ideal for a better essential oil diffusion.
- Today, the nebulizer represents the most advanced technology in oil diffusion.
- It doesn’t use any heat, thus preserving the properties of the oils intact.
- Because it doesn’t use heat or water, released oil molecules are pure. Nebulizers don’t change the level of humidity.
- Nebulizers have a very beautiful aspect. That is given by the best quality glass and wood materials.
- If cared for properly, you could have a nebulizer for a very long time.
- They are great for therapeutic purposes.
- They are also the best Aromatherapy diffusers for large rooms. A nebulizer can cover between 50 sq. meters and 100 sq. meters (538 sq. ft. – 1076 sq. ft.). The manufacturer will have to state the product’s coverage, of course. But if you’re looking for an essential oil diffuser for 1000 sq. , a nebulizer is your best choice.
- Finally, nebulizers make great quality gifts.
Disadvantages of using a nebulizer:
- Nebulizers emit a soft sound, so that’s probably an inconvenient. Though, being used in large spaces, that sound will most definitely be easily ignored or forgotten. That sound or noise comes from the vibration of the device that makes it suited only for open spaces.
- Its component pieces are fragile. Luckily, some manufacturers also make spare parts, should they break.
- Because it is glass-made, its cleaning may require some extra care and attention.
- Thick oils, concretes, absolutes or carrier oils are not to be used. They can clog the nebulizer.
- Another inconvenient may be its high price. It is the most expensive essential oil diffuser because it is made of quality materials. The technology used also makes it more expensive than an ultrasonic or any other type of diffuser.
Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes for Nebulizers
Nebulizers don’t use water. Thus, the oils must be added in a small quantity directly in the glass recipient. You can also make various blends with your favorite essential oils. Just make sure you keep them stored in a glass bottle. They can dissolve plastic or rubber.
Prevent Viral Infections Diffuser Blend
- Pine essential oil: 5 drops
- Eucalyptus (radiata) essential oil: 5 drops
This blend will disinfect the air and boost the immune system. Diffusing oils that are antibacterial and antiviral daily, for half an hour, can prevent many health problems.
Diffuser Blend Recipe for Bad Smells and a Good Mood
- Bergamot essential oil: 5 drops
- Ylang-Ylang essential oil: 5 drops
- Mandarin or Orange essential oil: 5 drops
Citrus oils are all very uplifting and disinfecting at the same time. They will change the air in your home and create a happier atmosphere.
The Ultrasonic – Second Best Type of Essential Oil Diffuser for a Large Room
This type of essential oil diffuser for a large room is the second best after the nebulizer. It is called that way because it uses high frequency sounds. Their intensity is between 20 – 80 KHz and it is not audible by the human ear.
The ultrasonic diffuser has a water tank where a few drops of oils are added and then dispersed together. That is why ultrasonic diffusers are also humidifiers. They are most recommended during the cold season where artificial heat is used.
Be warned though! An ultrasonic essential oil diffuser doesn’t have the same power as a humidifier does. If you use the diffuser in a small room however, you could increase the humidity.
Ultrasonic diffusers work because of a membrane that vibrates at high frequency. During this process, the oil molecules detach from the water in the tank.
Only some water molecules bind to the oil molecules and get carried into the atmosphere. Thus, the oil molecules are really small and fine and easily diffused through a cold mist.
The following two suggestions are among the best ultrasonic diffusers for large rooms. After seeing what they can do, I will take you through their general advantages and disadvantages, just like before. Your dose of blend recipes inspiration will follow, of course.
1) VicTsing 400ml Aromatherapy Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser
This ultrasonic diffuser is a very cute and easy to use diffuser. It can be used as a humidifier because it uses water. It is also more affordable. Let’s see what are its pros and cons.
- What strikes you at first is its modern wood-like material and its shape. The VicTsing looks more like a flower-vase, which makes it even nicer to watch as it diffuses the oils.
- It’s a great décor piece.
- It has a large water capacity (400ml), which allows you to change the water only once a day. Not changing the water daily can increase the risk of mold growth.
- This is a great ultrasonic diffuser for a large room of 269 sq. ft. (25 sq. meters). Its humidifying powers limit at about 215 sq. ft. (20 sq. meters).
- It is easy to wash and maintain.
- It produces 30-60ml/hour of cool mist. The misting modes can of course be controlled.
- It also has 7 different LED colors that can be adjusted. You can go for either color in dim or bright intensity.
- It can be set to work for 1, 3 or 6 hours. When it’s left without water, it will automatically turn off.
- VicTsing comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee and 12-month worry-free warranty.
- The package contains the diffuser, a measuring cup, an adapter and a user manual.
- It is plastic made, so some may smell like that when first diffusing. It is BPA free.
- Make sure you never add in essential oils mixed with carriers. Absolutes and concretes are also thick and can clog the device.
- Make sure the diffuser is plugged before filling it because the plug is underneath it.
- It makes a faint buzzing sound.
Why I like it:
As far as best ultrasonic essential oil diffusers for large rooms go, the VicTsing does a great job. It is also affordable and can blend in with your other décor pieces quite nicely. The wood-like material looks good and the water tank is also easy to clean. All in all, this ultrasonic oil diffuser is among the best.
2) URPOWER 500ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier
One of the best essential oil diffusers for a large room, URPOWER is a 3 in 1 product. It can easily be used as an oil diffuser, a humidifier and a night lamp.
- The diffuser comes with a huge water tank (500ml), which is mostly useful when used as a humidifier.
- It can be used for up to 10 hours with that amount of water.
- The device turns off automatically when left without water.
- You can choose your time between 60, 120 and 180 minutes. It can also be left on to work continuously until it runs out of water. This is not recommended!
- There are various LED colors to choose from.
- The mist and the spray intensity can be controlled.
- The fragrance power can cover large areas of over 1.000 sq. ft. (92 sq. meters)
- URPOWER is a large diffuser, weighing 1.14 pounds (520 grams).
- The package comes with the Aroma oil diffuser, a charger adaptor and one measuring cup. Its user manual is also included.
- It requires cleaning at least once a week.
- You need to make sure you close the lid to fit perfectly. That will make it start immediately.
- Keep in mind that the oil you use can influence the intensity of the aroma.
- It can also make a buzzing sound, but kept in an open space or larger area, it is barely noticeable. Not recommended for bedrooms where the room needs to be quiet.
- Again, make sure you plug it in first before filling its tank.
- For some, the LED colors can be too bright. In wide spaces however, the light can be just enough. You do have the option to turn them off though.
Why I like it:
I like this ultrasonic essential oil diffuser because it can be used as a humidifier in the cold season. Thus, static energy or nasal congestion can also be prevented. The fragrant cold mist it releases, plus all the other benefits make this diffuser one of the best. Its size is good for a large room as well.
Advantages of using an ultrasonic diffuser:
- An ultrasonic oil diffuser is easier to use and clean than the nebulizer.
- It makes it very fun to watch the essential oils being diffused. The cold mist can sometimes be hypnotizing and looks very pretty. Some people use this type of diffuser only for that beautiful visual effect.
- The mist released is an efficient diffusion method that doesn’t use heat. It can also preserve the properties of the aromatic oils intact.
- Ultrasonic essential oil diffusers can cover a large enough area. They are good for a surface of 30 sq. meters (323 sq. ft.)
- They are also more affordable than nebulizers and more resistant. Ultrasonic diffusers are resistant because plastic is the main material used. The best quality ultrasonic diffusers for large rooms are those with a ceramic water tank. That will raise the price, though.
- It is a very silent type of diffuser. You can at most hear the water splashing inside, but that has nothing to do with the working mechanism.
Disadvantages of using an ultrasonic diffuser:
- An ultrasonic diffuser is not as powerful as a nebulizer.
- Still, it can cover an area of up to 50 sq. meters (328 sq. ft.). Depending on how you look at it, this may or may not be a disadvantage.
- It can be a good humidifier because there are heavier water molecules that bind to the oil molecules. That however, is not that good for the oil molecules even if it increases the humidity level. A longer suspension in the air can reduce the duration of the effects of an essential oil.
- Ultrasonic diffusers can be made of low quality materials, thus breaking more often.
Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes for Ultrasonic Diffusers
Whatever blend you want to make, simply mix your oils and keep them in a glass container. Never mix essential oils with carrier oils for diffusion! That goes for both the nebulizer and the ultrasonic diffuser.
Relaxation Diffuser Blend
- Grapefruit essential oil: 4 drops
- Frankincense essential oil: 2 drops
- Lavender essential oil: 2 drops
Diffuse this blend for 30 minutes in a well-ventilated area. You can repeat every 2 hours. It will help you relax and unwind after a long day of work or worries.
Better Focus and Alertness Diffuser Blend
- Rosemary essential oil (ct. cineole): 3 drops
- Peppermint essential oil: 3 drops
- Lemon essential oil: 6 drops
Add this mix to the water tank of the essential oil diffuser and let it diffuse for up to 30 minutes. Make sure the room is well-ventilated to prevent headaches. In the last chapter of this post I will tell you exactly why long diffusions are not healthy.
How Essential Oil Inhalation Works on the Body and Mind
Through inhalation, you can enjoy up to 70% of the beneficial active molecules of an essential oil. Depending on the space, the diffusing technology and oil though, the percentage is mostly around 50%. That’s why nebulizers are the best so far.
An essential oil is made up of hundreds of tiny molecules that evaporate into the air. These tiny molecules are absorbed by the nasal mucosa, which turns them into signals.
These signals travel to the brain through the olfactory bulb and the cerebral cortex.
Along this path, the molecules interact with various hormones. These hormones then produce different effects on the mind and body.
An essential oil diffuser for large areas and other spaces will have this effect on your mind and body. Depending on the oil, your mind can be more alert, or your anxiety can be controlled, etc.
What Does Science Say about Aromatherapy Oil Diffusion, plus Tips and Good Practices
Studies on the effects of essential oils on the brain and body have been made. Most of them show encouraging results.
Others still need more testing and experimenting. Aromatic oils are very complex essences that work on more than one level. They create various interactions that have multiple effects and benefits on our health and mood.
For instance, let’s take one rat study. Researchers discovered about 50 different metabolites caused by daily inhalation of oil fragrances. Metabolites are substances that the body needs for a good metabolism. These metabolites helped in relieving anxiety.
Another study showed a good connection between quality sleep and certain essential oils.
Yet another study showed that lavender is good at suppressing allergic inflammations of the airways. Of course, lavender is not the only one that can do that. But it is one of the most popular Aromatherapy essential oils so it tends to get more attention.
Tips and Good Practices for the Diffusion of Essential Oils
I will begin with what I consider the most important thing on the list:
- Avoid diffusing essential oils for more than 30 continuous minutes! They keep on diffusing even after you’ve turned the device off, thus the inhalation will last about an hour.
Studies show that inhalations that last over an hour have the opposite effect of relaxation, peace and calm. They can cause raised blood pressure and agitation. Their diffusion should always be made in well-ventilated rooms. Essential oils can saturate the air and cause nausea or headaches. They can also irritate the mucous membranes.
- Pregnant and nursing women or children (3 years+) should stay in a room only after the diffusion is stopped. But before that, make sure your condition allows the diffusion of certain oils.
- Never leave the diffuser on while sleeping.
- Avoid diffusing those oils that irritate or have toxic potential.
- Some essential oils have a very heavy or unpleasant fragrance. Avoid diffusing Carrot seed, Cumin, Helichrysum, Juniper or Cypress.
Before buying an essential oil diffuser for a large room, here are some questions to ask yourself. Hopefully, they will help you decide which type of diffuser or technology you prefer. This can speed up the process of choosing. See if:
- You want your diffuser for therapeutic purposes or simply for fragrance?
- Can you use one that makes a bit of noise?
- Do you prefer the ones with LED light or not?
- What type of design are you looking for?
- How much can you spare on a diffuser?
- Do you want it with control options? If so, can they be basic or more complex?
- How much oil does the diffuser consume?
- How heavy or tall can it be?
- Is it easy to maintain or preserve? Is it durable enough or very fragile?
- Do you want a humidifier as well?
- What materials do you prefer in a diffuser?
- How intense do you need the scent to be?
Buying the best essential oil diffuser for a large room takes a bit of time, research and of course, money. Depending on the technology and materials used, a diffuser can make a great difference in your home.
The aromas can be more or less intense or they can make more or less noise or their lights can be too low or strong, etc. Even the quality of the essential oils diffused can be influenced by the type of diffuser you decide to buy.
You now know everything about nebulizers and ultrasonic diffusers. You’ve seen their pros and cons, and hopefully that’ll help you pick the best one.
Among all the diffusing options out there, nebulizers and ultrasonic diffusers are the best for larger spaces. They are more efficient and powerful, and they can also last a very long time. They do require some maintenance, the glass ones a more careful handling too.
But in the end, if you want the best essential oil diffuser for a large room, some compromise needs to be made. The benefits of using such a device make it worthy. Essential oils make a great complementary therapy. They are non-invasive and non-toxic if used in moderate amounts.
Now, the question remains: which one will you go for and why? Have you tried different diffuser types before?