Essential oils are very popular in Aromatherapy and their inhalation offers fast results. While there are many ways in which one can use them, essential oils are best inhaled from a diffuser. If you’re a doTerra diffuser fan, this article is reviewing their best devices.
Whether you’re new to Aromatherapy or not, in this article you’ll be reading about:
- A few important aspects about essential oils and diffusers. This is the introductory section. It’s meant to serve as basic knowledge and acts as a setup for the actual reviews.
- Types of diffusers and doTerra oil diffusers. A review with all the pros and cons you need to know before committing to a solid purchase.
- Find out differences between the diffusers and how to use them for all intents and purposes.
- Safety words and a list of therapeutic blend recipes for the best doTerra diffuser you’ll be picking.
Basic Knowledge about Essential Oils and Diffusers
This section refers to a few basic aspects on the two necessary Aromatherapy “ingredients”. Before getting into the doTerra diffuser reviews, I need to clarify a few things. Using a doTerra Aromatherapy oil diffuser usually comes with many questions. Especially if you’re new at it.
Whatever you don’t find in here, don’t hesitate to ask me in the comments section!
Why are Essential Oils Good for Diffusion?
The inhalation/diffusion of essential oils is the best and fastest way of enjoying their benefits. You can get anywhere between 50% – 70% of the active molecules into your body.
Aromatic oils are concentrated plant extracts/essences. Plants have special “chambers” or glands where they store their oils that will later help them regenerate. These oils can also protect them from predators by emitting repellant smells.
These oils protect the plant from the sun’s damaging rays and extreme weather conditions. Usually, only 1% of the plant contains essential oils. They are extracted through steam distillation from large quantities of plant material.
Essential oils are volatile. This means that they evaporate into the air. This property is what makes them so powerfully scented. The tiny molecules in their composition are easily absorbed into the body via the nose.
These molecules are so small that they can even penetrate the blood barrier of the brain. That is why essential oils can affect the nervous and limbic systems.
The benefits of inhaling essential oils from a diffuser are quite many. They can also change the atmosphere inside a room. In other words, they can:
- Boost your mood.
- Relax your mind and body.
- Relieve stress and anxiety.
- Lower heart rate and blood pressure.
- Strengthen the immune system.
- Create a cozy and beautifully scented environment.
- Purify the air you breathe.
- Protect and prevent viral infections.
- Improve respiratory problems.
- Stimulate the activity of internal organs.
- Improve focus, and so much more.
Essential oils are active natural remedies. They have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects. They can also act as antiviral and antifungal agents.
Some of them can inhibit pain receptors, thus relieving all sorts of aches in the body (joins, muscles, etc.). Others can inhibit cravings (food, smoking, etc.) and even induce labor and promote an easier delivery.
To fully benefit from their effects, you’ll have to use only pure essential oils. The type of diffuser you use can also affect their properties.
Heat-based diffusers for instance, can decrease the effects of oils. Heat destroys oil molecules and causes faster evaporation. Candle oil burners use heat. Using this diffusion method may seriously alter the effects of your oils.
Obviously, the best diffusers are those that don’t use heat. doTerra’s ultrasonic diffusers and nebulizers make it into this category successfully.
What is a Diffuser and What is Its Purpose?
An essential oil diffuser, whether it’s from doTerra or not, is a device that helps disperse the oil molecules into the air. The purpose is to:
- Change the scent of the surrounding environment.
- Purify the air.
- Affect your mood and spirit.
- Give you more energy.
- Relieve allergies and respiratory problems.
- Help you focus.
- Help your body fight viruses and bacterial infections.
- Create a specific atmosphere (Christmas, summer, etc.)
- Create new memories. There is a proven link between scents and memory.
doTerra has a modest range of good quality essential oil diffusers. Your picks are between ultrasonic diffusers and nebulizers. I’ll help you decide which one to buy with the necessary pros and cons (and tips).
General Features for Choosing the Best doTerra Oil Diffusers
Even though I’ll go into more details with each, you should know a few general features. They will help you decide easier whenever looking for a new diffusion device.
- The water capacity tells you how long a diffusion can last. Maybe you don’t want to have to add water more than once a day. In that case, the larger the water recipient, the better. Ultrasonic doTerra oil diffusers vary in that aspect, giving you options.
- Running time. The ideal diffuser would work for 20 – 30 minutes and then stop. It would start again every 2 hours. Continuous diffusion/inhalation is not recommended. Essential oils can saturate the air and numb your smell receptors in about 20 minutes. After that time, they can cause headaches, nausea, nervousness, etc. If you can find a running system that’s close enough, buy it. Otherwise, the timing system doesn’t matter so much in the decision-making process. I say this because it’s not really helpful as you’ll have to stop the diffuser manually anyway.
- Power. Some essential oil diffusers can cover very large areas. Others will only work for small spaces. Think what you need it for in advance to avoid unnecessary problems.
- Shutoff option. It is useful as you may forget to turn it off yourself. Automatic shutoff is preferred. Luckily, almost all, including doTerra diffusers, have this option.
- Design. It depends a lot on where you’ll be keeping the diffuser. Its design and aspect should also count when you’re making a decision.
- Noise. This feature may not be a problem when diffusing in large areas. For a study or work room however, you should make sure the noise level of the diffuser is as small as possible.
With all these aspects out of the way now, we can move on to more enjoyable matters. Further on, I’ll be “dissecting” the best doTerra diffusers.
I’ll tell you about their pros and cons and a few ideas or tips for them. You’ll also find details on how to clean them and some interesting comparisons.
Diffuser Types and doTerra Diffuser Reviews
Technology evolves constantly, which means today’s diffusers look much more impressing. Plus, we also get more options and thus, they are able to better please their consumers.
Presently, there are 4 different technologies that can diffuse essential oils. Some are more efficient than others though:
- There are diffusers based on ventilation.
- Diffusers based on heat.
- Diffusers based on ultrasonic sound (ultrasonic diffusers).
- And diffusers based on speed and air pressurization (nebulizers).
The latter two are the best. They are the best oil diffusers because neither uses heat. Yet, even so, ultrasonic diffusers are surpassed by nebulizers. They are the best right now (and the most expensive).
Fortunately, doTerra sells only these two types of essential oil diffusers. With ultrasonic diffusers, you have a few cute and practical designs to choose from too. It’s what I’ll be starting with. Keep reading about the following doTerra diffuser reviews to learn more.
doTerra Ultrasonic Diffusers
Ultrasonic diffusers produce fine micro-particles of oils and water. That is possible with the help of ultrasonic technology. The oils are volatile, so they will disperse into the air fast.
The fine water particles can also help increase the level of humidity in a room. That is not their purpose though.
Ultrasonic diffusers should not be used as a humidifier. Nonetheless, a “side effect” of using a doTerra diffuser is that it also acts as a humidifier. But it can be beneficial only in very small rooms.
That is why, if you have problems with dry air and the respiratory system, you should use a humidifier.
Differences between a doTerra diffuser and humidifier:
- The water tank of the diffuser is usually smaller than the humidifier.
- Humidifiers are not specially manufactured to diffuse anything else than water. Tin time, the oils may dissolve the plastic water tank.
- An ultrasonic diffuser has more misting power than a humidifier. Thus, it can cover larger areas.
- Essential oil diffusers can purify the air, humidifiers can’t.
- Diffusers release the oil molecules in a mist. Humidifiers release water in vapors. Vapors represent the gaseous phase of the water.
It’s recommended to use each device for its own purpose. That is how you’ll get the best results you‘re looking for. You can check out this article on humidifiers vs. diffusers too. It’ll give you a deeper understanding of the two.
doTerra’s range of oil diffusers that use the ultrasonic technology contains 4 models. Let’s see what they are:
1) doTerra Aroma Lite Diffuser
A very nice and practical oil diffuser! The doTerra Aroma Lite will help you experience the benefits of your favorite oils every day.
- The device has 4 ultra-fine mist output settings. doTerra essential oils will be diffused with the output of 1-3 microns. This will ensure maximum diffusion that fills a room very fast.
- It also has real-time atomization technology. It is useful to diffuse essential oils because they have a low viscosity. Thicker oils are not recommended for diffusion as they can clog the device.
- This doTerra Aromatherapy diffuser has a large water tank, with multiple settings. They are said to help in customization. Meaning the way you diffuse single doTerra essential oils and blends. The device can run for up to 8 hours, depending on mist setting.
- It also has an optional night light that can serve as a lamp.
- It is said to be silent and quite powerful.
- doTerra encourages its use during traveling too.
- The product’s weight is 1 pound (454 grams). Its dimensions are 8 x 8 x 12 inches (20 x 20 x 30 cm).
- The input is 100 – 240 V.
- The doTerra Lite diffuser covers an area of 500 sq. feet (46 sq. meters).
- For warranty information, you’ll have to contact doTerra. As a general practice, the warranty is given for 6 months.
- There are no doTerra essential oils included in the diffuser’s package.
- It may not work properly if you overfill its reservoir. When you add the water, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Users reported that their diffuser makes a small buzzing noise.
Why I like it:
Small essential oil bottles (10 – 15 ml) can last a very long time, especially since the Aroma Lite uses water. The diffuser is very compact and travel-friendly also, which is always a plus.
2) doTerra Lotus Diffuser
This oil diffuser is a very modern looking and easy to fit the device. Lotus makes a good choice when it comes to enjoying the therapeutic benefits of your oils.
- The main advantage of this doTerra essential oil diffuser is that it takes up very little space. It is able to do so with a fluid, modern and elegant vertical shape.
- It releases the oil and water mist quickly and soundlessly.
- It can also run up for 3 hours. The 3-time settings are for one, two or three hours. This small running time is given by a small water reservoir. In my opinion, it is ideal simply because you don’t need to keep it on for more than 20 – 30 minutes at a time. Assuming you’ll be using it every 2 hours, the 3-hour working time will last for 6 diffusions. Basically, you’ll fill in its tank once a day.
- The device covers up to 330 sq. feet (31 sq. meters).
- doTerra’s Lotus oil diffuser comes with an optional soft, white night light.
- There may be drips coming out of the tiny mist hole. I recommend placing it on a decorative saucer before turning it on.
- The product weighs 1.9 pounds (862 grams).
- Cleaning and adding essential oils must be done after removing the front protective panel. It can be removed easily though. However, some might still see it as an inconvenience.
- Again, there are no doTerra oils included with the diffuser.
- The cost of this doTerra diffuser might be a bit too high.
Why I like it:
The design of the Lotus Aromatherapy diffuser can make a very nice decorative piece. This feature makes it a good gift choice for friends and family.
3) doTerra Petal Diffuser
One of the most popular doTerra oil diffusers, Petal ticks most of the boxes for Aromatherapy use.
- The Petal diffuser is small and convenient, and also night-friendly.
- It also has a far-reaching mist that covers up to 330 sq. feet (31 sq. meters).
- The device comes with a soft white light that makes it pleasant to use at nighttime.
- Its time settings are for one, two and four hours.
- The diffuser is quite sturdy and stable, and also light and easy to use. This means you can take it at the office or use it at home.
- In terms of costs, this is by far the most affordable doTerra diffuser. It is also high-quality and can be used by everyone, new or more experienced.
- The dimensions of the product are 5.8 x 5.8 x 5.4 inches (15 x 15 x 14 cm). The shipping weight will be around 1.2 pounds (544 grams).
- It uses an AC adaptor input of 100 – 240V/60Hz 0.4aA and output of 24V – 0.5A.
- It releases somewhere around 37 ml of vapor per hour. The Petal doTerra diffuser can also be used as a mild humidifier.
- Its water capacity is 150 ml (5 fl. Oz). Depending on how you look at it, this may or may not be a problem. Either way, you should refill its reservoir at least once a day.
- The noise level of the Petal diffuser is about 46 dB. A fridge’s noise level is of 50 dB. Depending on the diffusion area, it might be loud or not.
Why I like it:
The doTerra Petal diffuser’s cost is affordable and its design is very pleasing and aesthetical. It is also easy to use and can provide a modest level of humidity.
4) doTerra Lumo Diffuser
This is another simple looking yet pleasant diffuser. Lumo is very efficient at diffusing essential oils in a large space.
- This ultrasonic diffuser has a nature-inspired design that’s very pleasing.
- Its base is made of maple wood.
- The output is customizable.
- The device can run 2 – 5 hours continuously and 10 hours intermittently. The latter program refers to 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off.
- You can also choose between 7 lighting color options. Light blue, green, orange, pink, purple, and bright blue. Luckily, it also has an off option.
- The diffuser can cover a space of up to 540 sq. feet (50 sq. meters).
- The water recipient is plastic. It might be a good quality one, probably BPA-free, but I couldn’t find out for sure.
- For now, it can only be bought directly from doTerra.
- A bit pricey but easy to use by everyone.
Why I like it:
First of all, the Lumo diffuser looks very nice and can make a great gift idea. Its large water reservoir allows you to refill it at your own convenience. The diffuser works great with doTerra essential oils that are very fluid.
How do you clean your doTerra ultrasonic oil diffuser?
These types of diffusers are actually easy to clean up. Simply mix vinegar with lukewarm water and wipe the reservoir with it.
You could also leave the mixture in and turn the diffuser on for about 10 minutes. You can then wipe it clean and diffuse some pure water before adding your essential oils.
Side note on the power of the fragrances you’ll smell from your doTerra oil diffusers.
These fragrances usually depend on the type of oil you’re diffusing. Some are weaker than others, and some can also linger longer in the air. We’re talking here about the quality of the oils, not necessarily that of the diffuser. Yet, the power of the diffuser matters when you use it in large rooms.
Ultrasonic Diffusers vs. Scented Candles
As with everything in life, there are advantages and disadvantages to almost everything. High-quality scented candles will use essential oils for therapeutic effects and fragrance.
This fact is limiting as to how strong the fragrance is or how many options there are. Many essential oils have a low flash point, which makes it almost impossible to use with hot wax. Read more about it here.
Thi, however, does not stop some manufacturers from using synthetic fragrances. While they smell nice and interesting, that is also all there is to them.
Synthetic fragrances don’t have therapeutic properties like essential oils do. These things are a big disadvantage to scented candles.
Their biggest advantage is that they can create a cozy and romantic atmosphere. The warmth of a lit candle can’t compare to the electrical light of a diffuser. Scented candles make very nice gift ideas, especially in the cold season.
Ultrasonic essential oil diffusers can use almost all kinds of essential oils. Regardless if their flashpoints are high or low.
Citrus essential oils for instance, can’t all be used in making candles. But they can be diffused all day long in a doTerra diffuser. My reviews so far have shown why.
You can thus enjoy the therapeutic benefits of citrus essential oils and others. Diffused this way, they are also safer and healthier. There is no risk of fire hazard and they don’t use heat that can alter the properties of the oils.
If the candles are not made of natural wax (soy, beeswax, etc.) they can be harmful to our health. With a diffuser, you only need to worry about the quality of the essence you use.
As far as technology goes, nebulizers are at the top. These types of diffusers use very high speed and air pressurization. What they do is break down the oil molecules into very tiny, fine oil particles. They don’t need water.
This could be a minus as it doesn’t provide any level of humidity. But that’s not the purpose of a diffuser anyway. Instead, nebulizers don’t alter the properties of the oils in any way. That makes this method one of the best in natural remedies.
Nebulizers have enough power to cover very large areas. Their diffusion recipients are always made of glass. The doTerra oil diffuser is a bit atypical, because the glass recipient is provided by the oil itself.
Essential oils come in tiny glass bottles (10 or 15 ml). Such bottles can be screwed into the special holder and the diffuser will diffuse from it.
As a bit of a disadvantage, we have the noise level. Nebulizers have a more powerful “engine” that may cause it to emit a noticeable sound. Luckily, because of their power to diffuse oils in large spaces, that sound is not usually a problem.
Also, being made of glass some can be fragile and break easily. That is not the case with the doTerra nebulizer, as you will see in the following review.
1) doTerra Aroma-Ace Diffuser
This doTerra diffuser uses the latest diffusion technology. This helps people make the best of their oils. This type of diffusion is highly beneficial for your health.
- This device uses no water to diffuse essential oils. Therefore, the mist released is oil-based. It also doesn’t leave any oil residue on surfaces.
- It also has a lot of power and can cover up a very wide area (600 – 800 sq. meters/56 -74 sq. meters).
- This diffuser connects directly to the doTerra essential oil bottles.
- It comes with built in on and off timers and output volume control.
- It is made in the United States.
- The diffuser includes a doTerra essential oil blend (On Guard) bottle.
- This product weighs 2 pounds (907 grams).
- The fragrance that this doTerra diffuser releases is strong. This makes it useful mostly for larger spaces only.
- Users have also complained about the noise, which is a bit too loud for small spaces. In a large area though, the noise should barely be perceptible.
Why I like it:
It is very convenient to change essential oil fragrances. Simply replace the 15 ml glass bottle with another oil bottle you like. The therapeutic benefits of your oils diffused this way are intact. This is the best diffuser for doTerra oils that works with 15 ml bottles.
How do you clean your doTerra nebulizer?
The safest way to clean a nebulizer is usually with pure alcohol. Pour it inside an empty oil bottle and let the device diffuse the alcohol. It’ll clean both the bottle and the tubing.
Do not wash the machine because there are big risks of breaking it.
doTerra Ultrasonic vs. Nebulizer
As you’ve probably noticed, there are quite a few differences between the two. That is not bad, but it’s not necessarily good either. It all depends on:
- What you need from a diffuser,
- How much you’re willing to spend on it,
- What oils you mean to diffuse,
- The space you’ll be using it in, etc.
Thankfully, they are bot different and more options are always better than none.
- Use water.
- Increase the level of humidity (slightly).
- Don’t cover up very large spaces.
- They’re made of plastic. Even though BPA-free and good quality, plastic can lend its smell during diffusion.
- They release a cold mist that preserves the oil benefits intact.
- They can be very large and cover up a lot of space.
- Not all of them look nice as décor pieces.
- You don’t usually find spare pieces for ultrasonic diffusers if something breaks.
- Don’t use water. The oil mist they release is also cold. It is made only of fine oil particles that have an almost immediate effect.
- Don’t change the humidity level.
- Can cover up very large areas, being useful in living rooms or guest houses.
- The oils are diffused (pressurized) in glass recipients. That preserves the oils even better and doesn’t release any funky smell into the air.
- Look very professional and beautiful. They make very nice gifts.
- You will also find the necessary spare glass recipients should they break or crack.
How to Use doTerra Aromatherapy Diffusers
doTerra Aromatherapy diffusers can be used in a few different ways. It depends on what you need your oils to help you with.
You can use them for:
a) Therapeutic Benefits (Aromatherapy)
Maybe you’ve caught a cold or the flu, or you feel down or simply need to increase focus. You can always diffuse certain essential oils and make it all better.
Essential oils can protect from viral infections. They can also improve respiratory conditions and lift up your spirit. They can improve your memory and help you get focused while working.
Oils can help curb certain cravings and they can help you fall asleep, stop snoring and so on. The list of benefits is quite long, though not many of them have been scientifically proven yet. The data we have though, is in their favor.
a.1) Pets Therapy
Essential oils can be helpful to our little fury friends too. Though, extreme caution must be employed in their case. Cats especially are much more sensitive.
They can store the molecules longer than a dog, for instance. The wrong essences can build up in their kidneys, liver, etc. and cause future health problems. Read more about essential oils and cats.
The atmosphere in a place is very important. It can make or break first impressions very easily. Just think about a hospital or a medical office, and then think about a SPA. The difference is huge between the two and each evokes very different feelings.
The first can cause anxiety and fear while a SPA can make you relax and feel good. All these feelings are evoked by smells.
Essential oils make a good first impression. They can also change the ambiance of a place from a neutral one to a very welcoming one.
c) Repellant Effects
Oil molecules are very strong and concentrated. Many insects and bugs can’t stand their smell and keep away. Moths for instance, will stop eating fabrics if you put Clove essential oil near. Lavender and Clove can repel mosquitoes.
Besides acting as repellents, doTerra essential oils can also soothe insect bites. They have regenerative and anti-scarring effects.
Using any of the doTerra diffusers I reviewed can help you enjoy all these benefits.
Safety Tips and Therapeutic Blends for Your doTerra Essential Oil Diffusers
It all sounds great when I talk about the benefits of Aromatherapy oils. Under certain circumstances though, they can also be harmful and even toxic. Here are a few safety tips to make sure you experiment only their benefits:
- Never use the same essential oil for long periods of time.
- Avoid diffusing oil essences around children, elderly people or pets without medical approval. Or without a proper research. Certain oils can be used with children (Lavender, Citrus, Tea Tree). Diffuse for 10 minutes only, in a well-ventilated room and stop the diffuser once they come in.
- Do not inhale from the vapor mist of your doTerra oil diffuser. You’ll risk overcharging your sensory receptors. That can cause headaches, nausea or burn your mucus membranes, etc.
- Leave the door open if you have pets around. They will leave if the smell bothers them. Plus, an open door ensures a good and healthy dispersion throughout the house.
- Use aromatic oils sparingly. Ask for your doctor’s approval if you suffer from asthma, epilepsy or allergies.
- Diffuse only 100% pure essential oils.
- Keep a window ajar while diffusing to make sure enough fresh air comes in. That’ll avoid air saturation and further problems.
Essential Oil Blends for doTerra Diffusers
I’ve prepared a few inspirational blend recipes for you to try with your new diffuser. Feel free to replace the oils with what you have, if you’re looking for a specific effect.
Anti-Viral Infections Diffuser Blend
- Peppermint EO: 5 drops
- Pine EO: 5 drop
- Lemon EO: 10 drops
Keep this blend in a 15 ml glass bottle to use it in the doTerra Aroma-Ace nebulizer. You can also use a few drops (anywhere between 5 and 20 drops) of EO in an ultrasonic diffuser.
Keep it on for 20 – 30 minutes only and repeat every 2 hours if you like. Keep a window open while doing so. Avoid sleeping with the diffuser on!
Ambiance Aromatherapy Diffuser Blend
- Sweet Orange EO: 12 drops
- Ylang-Ylang EO: 10 drops
- Bergamot EO: 20 drops
Mood Enhancing Essential Oil Diffuser Recipe
- Grapefruit EO: 35 drops
- Rose EO (Otto): 15 drops
- Fir EO: 10 drops
Insect Repellant Diffuser Blend
- Lavender EO: 20 drops
- Clove EO: 20 drops
- Eucalyptus EO: 20 drops
Diffuse whenever necessary as per the above recommendations. Put a drop or two on a cotton pad (placed on foil) and place it in cupboards, cabinets or wardrobes.
Using a doTerra diffuser is highly beneficial and pleasant, that’s for sure! Luckily, they provide enough options so you can buy whichever you like. Their devices are durable and good quality. Some of them can also be transported while traveling. Plus, you can use them for so many purposes!
Aromatherapy is indeed a great therapy to use for natural remedies. The oils themselves are easy to find and use and their benefits are known for a very long time. Do you already own a doTerra oil diffuser and if so, are you happy with it?