Today, we have the option of taking Aromatherapy with us everywhere. A car is one of the best environments for oil diffusion, not just your home. Luckily, you can enjoy the beneficial effects of an essential oil car diffuser, every time you’re driving.
In this article, you’ll find information about:
- Types and models of car diffusers to choose from (reviews). They come in various designs, with specifications that may be to your liking. Prepare to read through the pros and cons to make the best informed decision.
- Reasons and benefits of using an essential oil car diffuser.
- Blend recipes with essential oils for all kinds of trips. Each type of oil has its own characteristics and properties. Find out what they are to enjoy driving even more.
Essential Oil Car Diffuser Types and Models to Choose From, with Pros and Cons
An American driving survey from 2015 showed that a person spends 294 hours/year driving. That is the estimated average time. It would translate into 7 weeks of a normal working schedule (40 hours/week). Source (table 6, page 14)
This survey also shows that most of the driving (66.2%) is done without passengers. Now, when you put together these facts, it seems quite a lot of time to spend driving.
Some people enjoy doing it more than others. After a while though, the majority drives out of necessity and less from pleasure.
Thankfully, today we have new means of making driving less of a nuisance. Aromatherapy is what you need to make time pass by faster behind the wheels. Whether you’re on your way to work or going shopping, or even visiting someone in another state, there are ways to make driving more pleasant.
Thanks to the many different benefits of essential oils, you can feel relaxed or energetic. The trick is to never diffuse/inhale essences with sedating properties. That is a definite no-no when you’re driving.
Don’t fret though; I will tell you more about the best essential oil blends for a car diffuser after the reviews. Now, it’s time to get acquainted with some of the most affordable car oil diffusers. Check out their pros and cons (and price) before making a decision.
1) InnoGear USB Car Essential Oil Diffuser
A very nice looking car diffuser that comes in 2 colors: violet and lime. The product represents a nice way of inhaling your favorite blends while driving. This practice can make driving more enjoyable and easier, without the usual stress.
- The InnoGear USB car diffuser is an ultrasonic type of diffuser.
- It is designed with USB port to plug in your car.
- It has 2 mist modes and very handy buttons to switch on and off. You can choose between continuous (30mins) or intermittent mist mode. The latter works 30 seconds per minute, for 6 hours.
- It’s easy to operate.
- When the water drops below the line, the device turns off automatically. This makes the product resistant in time.
- The cord is 44 inches long (110 cm).
- It fits in the cup holder of a car without a problem.
- It does not overheat on longer trips. Though a healthy diffusion should not exceed 30 minutes per session. You can turn it on again every 2 hours.
- This essential oil car diffuser has 7 color changing LED lights. Should you like a specific color while driving at night, this car diffuser can offer it. Still, you can turn the LED colors off.
- The diffuser is 100% BPA free.
- The water tank may hold up to 50 ml (1,70 fl. Oz.).
- The InnoGear essential oil diffuser weighs 4 ounces (113 grams).
- The seller guarantees your money back for 45 days. You will also get 1 Year warranty.
- The customer service is great. They offer solutions for every question or problem promptly.
- The package comes with the USB cable, but it doesn’t come with the adapter. The adapter must be 5V 1A USB for car use.
- For laptop use, you must change the adapter into a USB 3.0 port.
- Sudden breaks may empty the water tank of this car aroma diffuser. That leads to automatic shut off.
Why I like it:
Since it is portable, this car diffuser with its amazing lights can be moved from car to car. Or it can be used in a smaller working space too. It has a simple design and fits into any cup holder, which is a big plus. If used as per specifications, this car diffuser for essential oils can make your trip more enjoyable.
2) NexGadget Mini USB Car Essential Oil Diffuser (and Purifier)
This light or dark wood grain portable essential oil car diffuser has a very smooth design. Its size is that of an IPhone, like they show in the images of the product too. Being multi-purpose, the device can be used in a car or in a laptop.
The right essential oils can also boost your focus and creativity, or simply maintain you more alert. It depends of course, on the purpose of the diffuser.
- The NexGadget car diffuser is equipped with a USB cable connector. It can work with all types of USB devices.
- The water capacity of the tank is 50ml (about 1 ½ fl. Oz).
- The product weighs about 200 grams (7 ounces).
- The diameter of the car diffuser is 68 inches (173 cm) and its height is 140 mm (5.51 inches).
- The mist dispersion covers an area of 10 – 20 sq. meters (107 – 215 sq. feet). This feature makes the device great for small working spaces, as well as the car.
- The working time of the device is 2 – 4 hours.
- The LED colors may be set to dim or bright, or turned off completely.
- It consumes about 5W, which protects the device and your bill.
- The car diffuser is very quiet. It works on an ultrasonic frequency of 3MHz and it also has an auto shut-off option when the water gets low.
- The seller promises great customer care.
- The package contains the manual and a power adaptor. You’ll also get 18 months warranty. Or you get the option of returning the product and getting your money back in 45 days.
- No essential oil is included in the package.
- They recommend using “water-soluble” oils, but there is no such thing. There are only emulsions. Regular essential oils should work just fine.
- The seller recommends the cleansing of the product after each use.
- Adding water over their MAX line will not create mist. That means the device won’t diffuse the oils either.
Why I like it:
This car essential oil diffuser ticks all the important points. It has quite a nice aspect and it is affordable. Plus, it fits well into the cup holder of the car. It can also be used at work. All in all, you’ll want to try this car diffuser, not only for its looks, but for its price too.
3) Vizmy Aromatherapy Car Diffuser with Vent Clip
This is one of the safest essential oil car diffusers. It doesn’t need plugging or charging. It doesn’t need water either to diffuse the beneficial molecules of your favorite oils. Not to mention that it looks very cute and refined too. Let’s see what it promises first.
- The material of which is made is high grade stainless steel. This material doesn’t rust, tarnish or scratch, making the product very resistant in time.
- Its round shape has a diameter of 30 mm (1 1/8 inches).
- The package includes the diffuser, 9-inch (23 cm) round cotton refill pads, 1 black velvet bag and a gift box.
- The refill pads are washable and they come in 9 different colors.
- It must be clipped on the AC vent.
- This car diffuser works even with thicker essential oils (Patchouli, Vanilla, Amyris Sandalwood, etc.).
- The only way to stop the diffusion is by turning off the air conditioning. This might not be a good thing for longer trips.
- Make sure you don’t add too much oil because it may leak. The cotton is highly absorbent but it still has its limits.
- You must wash your hands after placing the cotton pad inside the diffuser.
- If you’re in the mood for new fragrances, you must change the cotton pad and re-insert it back.
Why I like it:
This Vizmy essential oil diffuser for car is easy to use. Just clip it on the AC vent and you’re done. I like its rose gold color and the tree pattern. Because it doesn’t use power or water, this diffuser has a long life. It is also safe when driving with kids. Plus, the use of essential oils with kids around may calm them down and make the trip less stressful.
These are the best 3 car diffusers I found to be affordable and good looking. To conclude the review, I must make a small recap. The best essential oil car diffuser must be:
- Easy to use.
- Able to diffuse good quality essential oils.
- Safe from children.
- Shut off on its own when it’s out of water.
That being said, let’s see some more points in the favor of Aromatherapy and car diffusers.
Why Use a Car Diffuser (Blend Recipes and Options)
I’ve given you the pros and cons of some very good looking and efficient car diffusers. Now it’s time to shed some light on why they are popular and useful. Plus, why do they even go so well with essential oils?
I will start with the last question. Essential oils are very concentrated plant extracts. There are literally tons of plants that go into a few hundred ml of essence. Their chemical profile is very interesting, and each oil has its own dynamics.
The geographical area of an essential oil influences its properties and benefits. That happens because the soil and the weather change the oil’s chemical composition. Then we add the way they’re harvested and processed, which changes that composition too.
That is why each new bottle of oil must be tested for allergies!
The diffusion and inhalation of essential oils act fast on the human brain and body. Those tiny active molecules are volatile. They disperse into the air and get into our system through the nose.
The nose processes them as hormones and sends various signals to the brain. If a molecule’s main effect is to inhibit pain signals, that’s what it’ll do after inhalation.
While diffusing essential oils in a car diffuser or any other kind, you will inhale up to 70% of the active molecules. That is the greatest concentration a person can absorb safely into his/her system. The rest will simply evaporate. The rate of absorption through skin applications is much less.
An essential oil car diffuser will disperse essential oil molecules into the small space of the car. You must always keep a window open while diffusing.
Studies show that inhalations which last more than 60 minutes can elevate the heart rhythm. That leads to elevated blood pressure, which makes a person anxious, agitated and stressed. If you diffuse for 30 minutes, the diffusion will last under an hour.
The air can easily get saturated because the oils are powerful. This can cause headaches or nausea.
Besides its therapeutic benefits, a car diffuser can also:
- Purify the air.
- Change the atmosphere and smell inside the car.
- Kill bacteria and viruses, and prevent viral seasonal infections.
For all these reasons, I would recommend the use of an essential oil car diffuser. With the right blend, you can make driving easier and more enjoyable.
How to Choose the Right Essential Oil Blend for Your Car Diffuser?
You can use just one single oil fragrance in your car diffuser if you like. But you can also mix them together and create some beautiful new aromas/perfumes.
Before making a blend, consider the following questions:
- What is the intent of the blend (energy, focus, relaxation, anti-anxiety, etc.)?
- What are you in the mood for?
- Will there be kids in the car?
- Will there be pets with you?
- What about ill or elderly people?
- Is it for a long or short trip?
- If you travel with passengers, what kind of perfumes do they like?
- Are you or anyone else car sick?
All these questions may help you decide what kind of fragrance or blends to diffuse while driving. Sure, if you’ll be travelling alone, things will be much easier.
Also, keep in mind that in a car, you should never diffuse essential oils with sedating effects!
Essential Oil Recipes for Car Diffusers
Let yourself caressed by the natural fragrance of essential oils while driving. Lift up tension and anxiety behind the wheels. Boost your energy levels and recharge your batteries for when you get to your destination.
Soothe a migraine or a sore throat on the go. Keep your mind and body alert and relieve the fatigue caused by long trips. The list of benefits can go on, of course.
Choose from the following recipes and enjoy them in your new essential oil car diffuser.
Uplifting Blend Recipe for Morning Driving
- Grapefruit essential oil: 20 drops
- Mandarin essential oil: 20 drops
- Ylang-Ylang essential oil: 10 drops
Mix these oils together in a dark glass bottle. Keep it stored away from direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. Pour 5 – 8 drops of this mixture onto the cotton pad or in the water recipient of the diffuser.
Anti – Driving Stress Blend Recipe
- Lemon essential oil: 20 drops
- Rose essential oil: 10 drops
- Bergamot essential oil: 15 drops
- Frankincense essential oil: 10 drops
Use only a few drops of this mix of oils!
Long Trip Blend Recipe
- Peppermint essential oil: 15 drops
- Palmarosa essential oil: 10 drops
- Patchouli essential oil: 10 drops
Anti-Viral Essential Oil Recipe for Car Diffusers
- Eucalyptus radiata essential oil: 10 drops
- Niaouli essential oil: 10 drops
- Pine essential oil: 10 drops
Diffuse up to 8 drops of this blend to prevent viral infections. Or you can use it to soothe respiratory problems. All these essential oils have stimulant properties. They can strengthen the immune system and maintain your body and mind alert while driving.
Using an essential oil car diffuser is easy and full of benefits. I don’t see any reason why not to try as many as you like. These diffusers and the right essential oils can make your driving experience less stressful. Traffic jams may not be so tough to wait on with Aromatherapy and some good music.
What type of aromatic essence do you like to diffuse in your car? Is it something you and your closed ones like on a long trip?