Few people actually pay attention to the health of their liver. But it is the second most important organ after the heart, with over 500 functions to perform each day. Its health reflects on the well-being of your body and skin. Luckily, you can take care of your liver quite easily. Use the 10 essential oils for liver health in this article to feel and look great again.
A healthy liver is key to a better health, a better mood, and a more beautiful skin. If you’re not always sure about what’s happening on the inside, just take a look on the outside.
Your skin will always give you signs that something’s happening. Find out more about the role of your liver and the symptoms related to a bad liver health in the first chapter of this article.
Then, continue to learn how to take care of your liver with essential oils. You will get to see what each type of essential oil can do for your liver and how it can reflect on your skin, too. Keep reading for a few great tips on an easy maintenance of your liver’s health.
Essential oils are concentrated substances. Because we’re dealing with them, you need to be aware of a few precautions as well. Make sure you read them before starting to take care of your liver, and implicitly your skin also.
Did You Know?
- Any type of medicine you take would be useless if it weren’t for the liver. The liver converts drugs into molecules that are then accepted by the body.
What is the Role of Liver and Why is It Important to Keep It Healthy?
The liver plays the very important role of filtering and eliminating toxins from the body. No matter what you eat, drink or do, it all goes through the liver. It is like a judge who decides what stays, what gets eliminated and what is sent for recycling.
- Processes drugs, alcohol and other harmful substances. When the quantity is not excessive, the liver can eliminate them.
- Creates blood.
- Regenerates itself.
- Produces essential proteins the body needs for a good functioning.
- Produces cholesterol.
- Burns fat.
- Detoxifies the blood and the intestines.
- Processes hormones like testosterone and estrogen. After they’re broken down, these hormones get converted into bile. The bile will then aid the digestion.
- Stops bleeding by forming blood clots.
- Provides the energy the body needs when it runs out of sugar. It stores the sugar until it’s time to unleash the reserves.
Caring for your liver, you will help it do its job at maximum capacity. That way it will be able to eliminate more toxins from your body. But it will also help with the digestion, recycle the blood and keep your heart healthier.
With all the things that pass through it, the liver doesn’t store that much. But among the things it does store is the bile. It produces bile, which gets sent into the gallbladder. The bile is stored there until it’s time to be released. Whenever the body needs to digest the food, the liver releases the bile.
The liver also stores vitamins like A, D, E and K. Vitamins A and D can be found as sugar. This sugar is released again when the body runs out and needs more energy.
Even though the liver doesn’t store chemicals, it can still be damaged. Alcohol, viruses, and cancer are the main causes for which the cells of the liver get killed. The harmful chemicals are usually sent to the kidneys for elimination. The ones that are water-soluble get eliminated through urine.
The oil-soluble chemicals get locked into the fat cells or eliminated. Oil-soluble chemicals are eliminated through tears, breast milk, ovulation and even ejaculations.
Here are the common signs and symptoms of a liver in need of care and help:
- High blood pressure.
- Water retention.
- Difficult or really slow digestion.
- Abdominal pain and bloating.
- Chronic fatigue.
- Irritable colon.
- Lack of energy.
- Too much abdominal fat.
How can essential oils help you maintain the health of your liver?
We already know that essential oils are powerful and concentrated. They will reach the bloodstream through skin applications. They must first be diluted with a carrier oil (Avocado, Olive, etc.). A blend of essential oils for liver health must be massaged on the stomach area and the area under the rib cage, where the liver is.
Once they reach the bloodstream, essential oils will pass through the liver. It’s there where they get decomposed. Essential oils are regarded as foreign matters by our body and the liver will thus eliminate them. But, until they get eliminated or secreted, they will have done their job.
We also know that essential oils have many different qualities. They can help with a slow digestion, boost the immune system and even support the hormonal function. When certain essential oils reach the liver, this one will then organize those specific oil constituents. Especially those constituents that are useful for various needs.
That’s how essential oils for liver health can assist your body and keep it healthy. When your liver is healthy, your skin will also look great!
The Benefits of Having a Clean and Healthy Liver:
- You’ll have more energy to perform your daily tasks.
- You’ll be even more efficient at work.
- You’ll be experiencing less bloating and flatulence.
- Your body will get rid of the toxins much faster.
- Your blood circulation will improve. This means all your organs will be better oxygenated. Your brain will function better and your skin can start getting rid of all the impurities and dark spots.
When it comes to more serious liver diseases, I checked the data on the US National Library of Medicine. I found a few interesting studies there. They showed how certain essential oils for liver health can actually have “strong toxic effects on liver cancer cells”.
The two most known essential oils with such an effect are Lemon Thyme (Thymus citriodorus) and Japanese Mugwort (Artemisia princeps).
Did You Know?
- The liver is the headquarters of anger. It is believed that when it is not properly expressed, the liver may become affected.
10 Essential Oils for Liver Health That Can Keep It Healthy
The effects of essential oils on the liver can be “choleretic” and “cholagogue”. Whenever you’ll be researching, you will often see these terms in their descriptions.
Choleretic is a medical term. It represents the effect of a substance that’s able to stimulate the liver to produce more bile.
Cholagogue is also a medical term. It refers to the ability of a substance to stimulate the liver to discharge bile into the digestive tract.
You will usually see these two terms together, though it’s not a rule. Some chemical constituents can often have just one of the two qualities.
The best way to benefit from the power of essential oils is to make digestive blends and rub them onto your stomach daily.
I will give you a list of those essential oils that can support your liver’s health. They can give it the right boost it needs to perform all its duties.
1. Carrot seed essential oil
Its botanical name is Daucus carota. It is full of antioxidants and it can help the liver in its detoxification process. Sometimes, the liver can get infections too, and when that happens, Carrot essential oil can help. It can also stimulate and help with the growth of new cells.
2. Celery seed essential oil
Its botanical name is Apium graveolens and it is extremely rich in coumarins. Celery oil is a great essential oil for liver health!
They are chemical constituents that have a powerful effect on those free radicals that cause damage and mutations to the cells. It is great against gastritis and stomach pain. In rats, the consumption of Celery seed oil decreased their body weights.
3. Fennel essential oil
Its botanical name is Foeniculum vulgare. It is good for the spleen and the digestive tract. It can help the liver produce more bile and speed up a slow digestion, thus clearing the bowels as well.
4. German Chamomile essential oil
It is known by its botanical name, Matricaria chamomilla. German Chamomile is a bit different than the Roman Chamomile. It has strong anti-inflammatory properties and it acts as a great stomach and liver tonic.
It is cholagogue – meaning it promotes an easy flow of bile from the liver into the stomach. That, in turn, means a good digestion.
5. Ginger essential oil
Its botanical name is Zingiber officinale. Ginger essential oil is one of the best essential oils for liver health. One study even shows that Ginger essential oil can improve symptoms of Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). It can also relieve from stomach pain, flatulence, and other bowel problems.
6. Juniper essential oil
Botanical name: Juniperus communis. It has a natural ability to stimulate all the vital processes within the body. Juniper is a great essential oil for liver health because it can ensure the proper flow of bile into the stomach. It can also tone up the liver and the skin, among other organs. It is thought to also help with kidney stones.
7. Lemon essential oil
Botanical name: Citrus x limon. Lemon essential oil is great at strengthening the immune system. It is very high in vitamins and antioxidants. It’s another one of the best essential oils for liver health and beautiful skin. It can also help with stomach problems and weight loss.
8. Lovage essential oil
Its botanical name is Levisticum officinale (or officinalis). Lovage is related to celery, which means it is also a great essential oil for the health of your liver. It can detoxify and cleanse the blood and it is recommended in all hepatic dysfunctions. Because it can purify the blood, it is also good for skin eruptions.
9. Peppermint essential oil
Botanical name: Mentha x piperita. Peppermint essential oil is one of the best essential oils for liver health. It strengthens the immune system and the blood circulation. It is also good against indigestion, gas, nausea, and constipation. All these beneficial effects on the internal organs will reflect on the skin also.
10/ Rosemary Verbena essential oil
Botanical name of Rosemary: Rosmarinus officinalis. Rosemary has many different chemotypes, and this one, in particular, is rosemary ct. Verbenone.
This particular chemotype makes Rosemary oil a very good essential oil for liver health. It has powerful regenerative qualities and it can also stimulate the metabolism. It is good for the circulation and it helps with the elimination of toxins.
Here is a list of essential oils that are NOT recommended for liver health. They can cause hepatotoxicity, meaning they can actually cause liver damage. But they can help with different other problems. You can read more about their benefits here.
Essential oils play an important role in the regeneration of liver cells. The liver is usually attacked by all sorts of chemicals, and most of the times in a high dose too. Make yourself a blend with essential oils for liver health and use it in massages on the stomach area.
Along with regular meals, enough hours of sleep and a more balanced diet, your liver could work at full capacity again. Of course, your skin will look revived too!
Did You Know?
- It is possible to donate half of your liver? The liver has an incredible ability to regenerate itself. In fact, every forty days each cell in a healthy liver gets replaced. That’s how the remaining half of the donated liver will regenerate the missing part.
Precautions When Using Essential Oils for Liver Health
As with all good things, there are a few precautions you need to be aware of, as well. Read this section before deciding on using a certain essential oil.
- First, you should never give up your medicine for essential oils. If you were prescribed certain treatments, talk to your doctor about using essential oils.
- Perform an allergy test on the soft inside of your elbow. Pour the essential oil you intend to use diluted on the skin and wait for half an hour. That will give your skin enough time to react, or not. People may react differently to certain essentials. Essential oils are also known to contain allergens.
- Never use undiluted essential oils on your skin.
- Never take essential oils internally without the consent of a doctor.
- Never use essential oils on epileptic people without the consent of a doctor.
- Pregnant women should also ask for the consent of their doctor before applying any essential oil on their skin.
- Children under 12 years old should not use essential oils on their skin either. Unless it’s with the consent of a doctor or you know for sure that it is a safe oil. Only a few essential oils are actually allowed to use on children. They are true Lavender and Chamomile.
The health of your liver should not be overlooked. It is not just a filter. The liver is the supreme judge of what stays and what goes out of your body. It may not seem so, but the liver needs to function at its best for you to feel healthy, have energy and look great. Your skin will greatly benefit from a healthy working liver, too.
Using the essential oils for liver health in this article to make potent blends, you can maintain the integrity of your liver. Have you ever cared for your liver with essential oils before? Which ones did you use?